Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Yamaha YXZ 2022

59K views 84 replies 32 participants last post by  Salinedude 
#1 ·
I own A 2017 YXZ SS SE and love it. I have near 12,000 miles and in the next year or at most two will be looking for A new YXZ paddle shifter. Currently Yamaha YXZ models are not keeping up with the competition, for one Honda Talon. My friend has the Talon and its technically ahead of the YXZ. I hope some one higher up at Yamaha reads this, because if the next generation of YXZ's does not keep up with the competition I will switch to A Honda Talon. The lack of A low range gearbox and if desired, auto shifting to me are most important. I know there is in development A low range gearbox for YXZ's but after you spend 25-30K on A new UTV I'm not about to fork out another 5K for one.

#2 ·
You speak the truth.
They will upgrade the current gen Yamaha.
Hopefully 2022. They got 5 years out of this design.
We all have the same "wish list" of changes.

They can't be that stupid, so hopefully the design/build team is on it.
Redesign or regret.

#3 ·
If they update in the same timeframe as before 22 will have updates. As for a "all" new Yxz I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know look at the wolverine. I myself have no use for a low range, but do find it hard to believe they are willing to limit the market it sells to by not including one.

#5 ·
Chris weisman is making a low speed gearbox for the yxz. I test drove it about a month ago. It shift from regular gearbox to on the fly, requires zero fab, 100% bolt in. About a 2.5hr job they said. Much lower gear than anything on the market by far with amazing control. If you have Facebook its worth checking out. I dont see the yxz making any changes, it serves its market well. An additional model would make more sense than revamping the yxz.

#7 ·
I have owned two YXZ's, a 2016 YXZ SE (with 70/30) and 2019 YXZ SS SE. Lots of nice upgrades to the 2019 YXZ and newer. I live in Utah, Moab is my favorite place to ride. Moab is the offroad capital of the world. 3000 miles of trails and rock crawling at its best. I have had no issues with stock gearing in my 2019. It is very balanced, and rarely have I needed any lower gearing. I have a heavy flywheel and never installed it.

The new Yamaha 2021 Rmax is a game changer in the sport utility segment, I test drove the 2 seater a few weeks back and it exceeded all my expectations. Rumor has it a major upgrade is coming for the YXZ for 2022 -- time will tell. If they do half for the YXZ that was engineered for the Rmax -- the Gen3 YXZ will be off the charts. No machine is perfect, we all have a wish list -- but so does all the other SXS owners with other makes and models. I saw a Youtube video regarding a 4000 mile review of a Honda Talon. The list was long of issues the owner encountered. Not knocking the Talon, but the devil you know is generally better than the devil you don't know.

#8 ·
Hey rsessions -
We checked out the Rmax.
It is a new car for sure.
Some things I didn't like -
1) The seats are very upright. Almost leaning forward. And that was with no helmet on.
It looks like I could cut the seat frame, gusset and re-weld it, to get a bit more laid back.
2) No zerk fittings anywhere?
3) Nowhere to mount a radio. Porbably have to mount it overhead.

Plenty to like about it too. It looks unbreakable. Great trim and finish.
My sister will decide between the Rmax and the Talon.
About the same price.

#9 ·
In five years when the Talon has a transmission issue it won't be worth fixing. There is going to be a lot of them people just won't fix when it takes $8000 to fix it. The dealer is going to call with the estimate and that will be that. Just not worth fixing anymore.

The Rmax will probably be usable/repairable for 20 years.

#11 ·
The only issue with the Talon transmission is not the trans but the sub transmission (like a transfer case on a truck) which unbolts from the trans. The low range dogs are getting rounded off on some. The shifter setup is different than the pioneer but all else is the same and you need to wait for the display to show Low before moving and make sure your shifter is adjusted. I know 1 guy with 40k miles and several others over 20k mile on their pioneers. The dog box transmission is no different than the yxz. The dual clutch setup is just 1 clutch for R, 1, 3 and 5th and the other is for 2, 4,and 6th gear. The clutch is engine oil operated instead of manual or electric over hydraulic like the SS. The low gear replacement is a simple and pretty cheap fix if your a DYI'er, but warranty is covering until Honda comes out with the fix.

#12 ·
Drivers not waiting for full engagement before hitting the throttle is the main cause of failure. But the gear dogs on the Talon engage less fully than the Pioneer for some reason. Only 1/8" or so of the ends touch, so any rounding at all and it's done.

#13 ·
A redesigned YXZ based on the new Genesis 998T turbo motor going into the snowmobiles would be awesome. Sounds like a hella 3 cylinder with 180hp as a conservative rating. Very compact and interesting design. Curious to see the next YXZ iteration from Yamaha...

#14 ·
Exactly. I've been waiting for the full auto option to purchase. Problem is, if they don't offer it in 2022, I may well pick up the Talon; and I would really rather have the YXZ. Most times I would use SS but having the full auto mode option is simply a no-brainer.

#15 ·
The boys at Hess Motorsports are saying a 3rd generation YXZ is in the works. I have 7800 miles on my 2019 SS SE, 2019 +YXZ's have many upgrades over the older YXZ's -- I put 9K miles on a 2016 YXZ SE and would not go back. I am not seeing many Talon's out on the trail. I just returned from a holiday trip to S. Utah and saw way more YXZ's over Talon.

#17 ·
I'm a little new to the sxs world, so forgive me if I play a little devil's advocate... The reason I like the yxz in the first place is because of the sequential gearbox and the ability to shift. Does anyone sell a car with an autoshifting gearbox? CVT's are horrible (IMO) and would remove the biggest differentiator Yamaha has against its competition. Also, as the race oriented model, one might argue a low range diff is just extra weight. Have you tried out an RMax?

#18 ·
including an auto-shift feature on the SS model would not detract from the pure-sport shifting guys and could not add that much weight. I believe this option is a no brainer if they intend to keep up with Honda.

#26 ·
Hasn't everyone? European trash ;)

The reason most people buy the Yami is because you can shift it, and the paddles make it even better. They can add the auto shift if they want, would make it appeal to a wider market. But for me I'll leave it in shift mode.
My point was that an auto shifting function built on an automated manual, single clutch, last generation trans, would probably not work as well as you might think.You would never be able to get the smoothness out of the system that the "auto shift type buyer" would demand. Just my $.02. Maybe the next gen YXZ will have a DCT?

#32 ·
I'm in San Diego and it had been a while since I went to a dealership but I went in a few days ago and noticed no YXZ's there. They had a few Yamaha utility models but that's it. Sport models on the floor were X3, Kawasaki, Talon and a few Artic Cats. I didn't ask why they didn't have any but it definitely caught my attention.

I realize the different opinions out there but looking at the competition and seeing every single one running a similar beefy trailing arm rear suspension instead of yamaha style a-arms is kind of annoying at this point if I'm honest. I love everything about the yxz except the suspension geometry and the cheesy stock roof support. I love the high Revs and the shifting (SS model). I know the car inside and out and it's crazy how reliable it is.

The image above shows a combo bypass and coilover setup, if that's true that would be pretty ridiculous and a game changer for me. I have way too much money in mine and would much rather continue to improve on mine instead of switching to any model currently available, but a turbo car with that kind of shock setup on a stock car might get me to sign the paperwork and start over.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.