Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pretty nice vid, would have liked to see the uphill stuff mentioned, but this rig is looking more and more like an all around answer. Love to see some trail, rock, rutted up doll head from guys out east and really see how it will perform in that environment. Definitely more than just a desert/sand specific sled !!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Add a Rekluse and you will be able to hold the brake without is stalling so I don't see why it shouldn't work for the hill climber/rock crawlers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Add a Rekluse and you will be able to hold the brake without is stalling so I don't see why it shouldn't work for the hill climber/rock crawlers.
I agree about the Rekluse, this machine is turning to be a great all-around trail, desert and dune rig from the videos and reviews I've seem.
Nice work Yamaha.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's going DOWN HILL.

Big deal. Geez

Let's see it lug back up this same hill at 0-5mph without touching the clutch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's going DOWN HILL.

Big deal. Geez

Something that really is a rock crawler could do that. I just don't think in its current state it will do the slow technical things well, maybe get you by but not well. Although with a crawler box, a manual can be very very effective at crawling. Maybe Yamaha or the aftermarket world will resolve that. Tim

·
Registered
753 Posts
Something that really is a rock crawler could do that. I just don't think in its current state it will do the slow technical things well, maybe get you by but not well. Although with a crawler box, a manual can be very very effective at crawling. Maybe Yamaha or the aftermarket world will resolve that. Tim
Yea, that's all I'm saying. Agreed

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's going DOWN HILL.

Big deal. Geez

Will a popo or caned ham do that? I'm no expert but I have driven an XP1K and it doesn't move until you press the gas, not sure about the ham so what are you asking the Yamaha to do that any other SxS can normally do?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Will a popo or caned ham do that? I'm no expert but I have driven an XP1K and it doesn't move until you press the gas, not sure about the ham so what are you asking the Yamaha to do that any other SxS can normally do?
The guy on video says NO CLUTCH ... "NO CLUTCH" .... look at it pull with NO CLUTCH.

Like this some type of major accomplishment while your coasting down hill.

And yes, in low Popo will crawl good ... arctic cat with true diff lock will crawl even better.

This is not a rock crawler. BUT I HOPE EVERYONE who thinks it's a crawler Buys one... that'd be good opportunity for picking up a used one cheap from guy who goes back to his rhino because he can't make it through the same trails he use too.

Reactions: Razoregon

·
Registered
167 Posts
IMHO with a Rekluse, skilled driver this machine will do all but the most hardcore rock stuff. Clearance will be the limiting factor before the clutch/shifter will. For most of us that are on varied terrain the concern was that it would suck badly enough on the rough stuff to make it either not fun or too hard. I believe this is not the case. I'm still in for one. Just working on the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
The guy on video says NO CLUTCH ... "NO CLUTCH" .... look at it pull with NO CLUTCH.

Like this some type of major accomplishment while your coasting down hill.

And yes, in low Popo will crawl good ... arctic cat with true diff lock will crawl even better.

This is not a rock crawler. BUT I HOPE EVERYONE who thinks it's a crawler Buys one... that'd be good opportunity for picking up a used one cheap from guy who goes back to his rhino because he can't make it through the same trails he use too.
Dude he was tying to show that you don't have to ride the clutch like most would assume from experience with any other manual transmission going down a hill! It's common sense that you wouldn't have to use the clutch while slowing going up a hill because you will need torque which means you will be using mostly the gas assuming it goes slow enough. I wouldn't say 5mph is slow enough to climb uphill but with the Rekluse I'm sure it will do fairly well. I don't think it's meant to be a crawler either but I'm sure it will do ok and when the aftermarket grows for it there will be options to regear I would think.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the vid! The more information the better. I think it did better at going that slow than I thought it was going to do. I still think a low range would make this machine an all-around winner for me! Fingers crossed for something of that sort for the Spring of 2016! If not, then I hope the aftermarket gets one produced by then because I'm buying one either way...;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
After watching the first video, I myself am glad to see that it will do well on are secondary roads here in west Virginia , keep the videos coming ,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alright, you can't drop that and not say what you heard!?!? Do tell! :)
Saw this on another thread and keeping my fingers crossed:

Interesting Information

Hey Guys,

This is from our resident racer from Arctic Cat on the Wildcat Forums. He was at Heydays talking to the Yamaha reps:

From the Yamaha staff that was at haydays to ask questions:

Crawling : not designed for that. It's intended as a desert racer/duner. The hillclimb/mudder/crawler groups will have to wait for what's coming next. A recluse clutch will help if you used it in that application but clutch changes will be frequent as it was never intended or designed for that. Shifting without a clutch will cause significant premature wear on the clutch, I asked about something like a PCV with a ignition interrupter/shift assist and he said if it comes out that would be the ticket for clutchless shifts.

This is from one of the guys on their R&D staff, not a salesman or sales rep. They came to haydays with both barrels loaded to promote this thing the guy didn't studder or give me random answers when I asked all sorts of questions about it. I also watched one of the Yamaha sled reps get destroyed off free beer at the Fox party. pretty damn entertaining to watch him stumble around.

Unless you lift off the gas completely to allow the recluse to free wheel yes. I asked him about the Recluse and he said it would help with alot of the wear on take off but a clutch will be detrimental to some operators that don't know how to operate it. He said in the desert where your WFO is where the clutch shines over the CVT , if you're in an area where you shift a lot the CVT will be better.

He also told me (and I'm fully ready for the "experts" to flame away on this) that running the turbo on stock tires/gears will cause you to have to shift more frequently. You could throw on larger tires to counteract this but at that point you're stressing the drive-line as its not calibrated for that in the axles and gears. They have no plans at this time to produce other gears of other ratios. If you run larger then stock tires on the stock motor you would be geared crazy high and it too will cause premature clutch wear. Another benefit of the simplicity of changing clutching in a CVT to match engine mods.

Somewhat just because he confirmed what I was wondering about, but competition for us as consumers is a good thing, if its a quality machine that is a home run it would force the other 3 to work harder to produce. Id like to see a home run hit but seeing the Dyno charts, after a claimed 15% loss in the driveline only to find out it was much more then that its pretty disheartening to wonder what else was claimed that isn't such. It'll be great to see how it really performs against a CVT in a non biased shootout now that the production models are out.

We actually had a really constructive talk for about an hour. His words that stuck in my head was "this is just the tip of the iceberg for whats next from us"

·
Registered
82 Posts
great video,i like how good the night visability is with the stock head lights(with my rhino its more like carrying a dollar store flashlight):)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah, that whole post is bogus. Just by the simple fact that changing gears without the clutch will wear the clutch out. Huh? that's so wrong. Makes you wonder what else may have been misinterpreted.

·
Registered
677 Posts
To the people that r complaining about this YXZ in the crawling department, #1 TO ME THE YXZ IS NOT A FULL TIME MOAB ROCK CRAWLER OR NOT A BIG BOULDER CRAWLER OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now from what I have been hearing 1 TO 2FT ROCKS ECT IT WILL DO FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
look at Can am their rock crawling ability SUCKS n for the guys that r complaining about this YXZ in climbing rocks n that own a Can am SHOULDNT TALK AT ALL. They have to get a different frt diff to be able to be a good climber.

This YXZ which so many people seem to be afraid of making Polaris n Can am sxs's look bad it is what it is. It will shine where others will not n it will not shine where other sxs's will. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone isn't comfortable shifting this YXZ, THEN DO NOT BUY IT OR DRIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If u are planning to go to moab all the time IT ISNT MADE FOR THAT WITHOUT A LOW GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But from what I have been seeing n hear this YXZ will be PERFECT for me n where I ride which is open desert, open n tight trails, steep loose rocky hills, N when I come to a bed of rocks that are 1 to 2+ feet I will go over them, Just because this is a clutch without a real low gear doesn't mean it can not do it. A lot of people say its only made for the dunes, wide open desert n wot, I say BS that's why it has 5 gears, drive in the gear that u want n that will work for u on the terrain that u are driving on. This YXZ will work on all terrains for me. Again not planning to go to moab its not my style but when rough rocks ect do come my way n it will I will handle it.

Again for the people that are not good with the clutch DO NOT BUY ONE OR DRIVE ONE! STAY WITH THE CVT! its a lot easier.

For the ones that do like the 5sp n it doesn't bother them in any way by all means go out n have a blast it will be worth it. This Yxz is like a dream come true for me anyway. N more n more I hear about this YXZ FROM PEOPLE THAT OWN THEM N SEEING VIDEO'S FROM PEOPLE THAT OWN THEM just makes me want it more. JMHO

1 - 20 of 34 Posts