Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked my XYZ 1000 up Wednesday and parked it in my shop. Thursday night there was a 3 inch diameter oil stain on the floor under the rear differential, it lined up with the driver side rear A-arm connect to the frame. The skid plate has a opening were the A-arm connects to the frame. The skid plate has oil on it , it feels like motor oil. Its in the area of the rear differential and I would think the differential would have a heavy gear oil in it. I felt around the differential the drain bolt, the fill bolt, the CV seals and the seam where the two housing cases join together. I am not feeling oil on the rear differential. I cleaned the skid plate and floor Thursday night, Friday morning there was the 2 inch diameter stain on the floor in the same place and the skid plate has oil on it.

I tried to use the tilt steering, I pulled back on the lever and I could not move the steering wheel up and down. The tilt steering is jammed in the full down position.

I started checking the metal bolts on the buggy, I found 7 bolts that where hand tight and I still have not checked all the bolts yet.

I checked the plastic screws, I did not try to tighten any of the plastic screws more, I was just checking that the screws had some resistance. I found 4 plastic screws that are striped out.

On the center console between the seats on top there are two white panels. The aft panel was just lying in place not installed into grommets, I pick up the panel and saw the plastic pegs that go into to grommets. I lined up the pegs and grommets and pushed it into place after this the panel was held down. Before the panel just lying on the the console nothing holding it in place.

The doors when closed move up and down about 0.25 inch. I did not have time to see if there is way to adjust this slop out of the door.

I took the buggy to the dealer today. They worked on the tilt steering while I was there and they fixed the jam, the guy was pulling and pushing on it as hard as he could on the steering wheel the whole buggy was shaking side to side a couple of inches. I told them about the oil leak and showed them the oil on skid plate, he said the oil is residue . I told them if I clean everything up the oil is back the next day. I said he would let sit over night and look at it, but he does not think any thing is wrong. So it looking like I will have to most likely tear the back end apart myself to fix it and at this time there are shop manuals . Dealer said the 0.25 inch slop in the door is normal.

These are things you find on something made in China, I shocked to see this on a Yamaha. At this point I feel like I have made a large mistake.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that. None of those issues on mine. Must have been a "Monday" build. Best of luck to you in getting this resolved!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ouch!
I would question the dealer about the aptitude of the nit wit that built your machine, too many loose bolts and too many stripped ones for sure.
As for the oil, I have seen overflow many times where it can take days for it to run out/along a frame from some other location...
You mentioned the leak was in the rear, you likely drove forward into your garage, the garage is sloped, likely the oil flowed down hill so t speak...
That said, I would and always do upon receipt of any new vehicle (new or "new to me") check all fluid levels.
Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That sucks its hard to believe that Yamaha would let that YXZ out with problems, That would be my luck that's why when I buy something I go over every bolt that I can n check the torque, Check all hose fittings n all fluids n drain bolts. Yes its a pain in the azz but I do not trust dealers on my stuff. When I bought my Wildcat X there was not 1 bolt that was at torque specs, so I re torqued everything, Low oil u name it. This is the 1st time I heard of a Yamaha YXZ that had problems, Except for the door handles coming loose. U did good by addressing it right away. I am sure that everything will be good for u. Yes it does suck to have any issues when it new that's for sure. Again good luck with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That stinks got mine thursday got 90 miles on it allready no problems other than paint chipping on rear a arms now i have thrown a ton of gravel with it in old well roads here in wv. Making guards for them dont think there powder coated other than that its a blast

·
Registered
265 Posts
I hate to say it but sounds like your dealer sucks.

This is 1st i have heard of any problems other then door handle coming loose and so far i think that was just on 1 unit.

Hope it gets sorted out for ya.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like your dealer dropped the ball and them telling you that oil leakage is normal would prompt me to call Yamaha and see what they think. Maybe the gear case housing threads were stripped or something to begin with but I doubt it. It sounds like a dealer screw up to me and if that's the case then I would make sure Yamaha knows about the incident so they can investigate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you do not want owners to post there problems. I thought the idea of the forum is to post things to give other people information. I posted this to warn people to look over the buggy close before buying it. My buggy had to be leaking on the showroom floor , if I had looked the buggy over closer I might have seen the oil. The dealers does not install the rear differential so this a factory problem. I looked at the online OEM parts for the rear differential, it has a large o-ring that seals between the 2 outer housing parts. Yamaha shows the 2 outer housing parts and the large o-ring but the but you can not pick these parts to add to the in basket, to get any of the part you have buy the whole differential $580. I am sorry I mess up the fantasy world you live in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds to me like you are assuming there is an issue without actually knowing. We want to know about issues but we want facts. Not assumptions. That oil leak should not me that hard to find. Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
582 Posts
So you do not want owners to post there problems. I thought the idea of the forum is to post things to give other people information. I posted this to warn people to look over the buggy close before buying it. My buggy had to be leaking on the showroom floor , if I had looked the buggy over closer I might have seen the oil. The dealers does not install the rear differential so this a factory problem. I looked at the online OEM parts for the rear differential, it has a large o-ring that seals between the 2 outer housing parts. Yamaha shows the 2 outer housing parts and the large o-ring but the but you can not pick these parts to add to the in basket, to get any of the part you have buy the whole differential $580. I am sorry I mess up the fantasy world you live in.
Nope, glad your back just felt weird dropping a bomb like that then not answering posts, there seems to be a bunch of Turds here claiming allot of bs . Hope you find the issue and get backing the dirt!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pull the diff and take it apart and check The seal out if you can't get just the seal seems like you'd be a leader to I'd use some silicone on it it's not like it's under pressure in there it just needs to hold it

·
Registered
171 Posts
My post was to basically say the fault is on the dealer as much as it is the factory. I'm sure they have to do an inspection on it before they let the customer take it home. I wouldn't pay for anything I would make the dealer make sure it's fixed properly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I took it to the dealer Saturday they looked at it and said they did not see problem, they said they would keep it over the weekend and look at it Monday. They called me Tuesday and said they did not see a problem. When it was leaking on my shop floor I did not want to take the skid plate off because I felt the oil on the skid plate would prove it was leaking oil and I did not want to mess it up. When I picked it up Wednesday the oil was still on the skid plate. I took it home Wednesday morning, before I went back to work I took the skid plate off, there where 2 big oil spots on the skid plate where the lower aft A-Arm connects to the frame. I felt the frame at the A-Arm connection there was oil all over the frame at this location. There was no oil on the lower differential . this was the one area I could not feel when the skid plate was on.

The days I had the buggy in my shop the outside temperature was mid 90s F, these where the days the buggy was leaking oil on the floor. I think when the temperature is in the mid 90s F the grease in the suspension joints is melting a turning to oil. I felt the upper back A-Arms where they connect to the frame and they had oil all over the bottom near the seals. The grease is turning to oil and running out of the seals. I check the front A-Arms they have oil running out the seals at the connection to the frame. I wiped all these areas down to get the oil off , there was a lot oil . The oil I was seeing on the floor last week was the grease melting to oil and running out of the suspension joints.

Saturday , Sunday and Monday we had heavy rain (8 to 9 inches total ) and it was cool outside. Tuesday we had light rain and it was cool outside. The dealer parked my buggy out side in a fenced in area all that time, I looked at the spot they parked in and there was no oil on the ground. The temperature was cool enough that the grease was most likely ok and not melting and turning to oil. In the next couple weeks we should get some more 90 degree days , I expect to see oil on the floor when this happens. I think if I replace the grease in the joints with a good quality high temperature grease this problem should go a way.

The Yamaha has good electric connections, after setting in all that rain it fired up no problem, all the gauges where working right.

Being in Texas we have high temperatures and I think this is what is causing this problem to show up.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I noticed mine had oil on the rear diff skid plate this evening. It's also green in color. I just greased mine the day before and my garage gets warm. So I will keep an eye on mine.i haven't checked the diff oil yet, will do that before I take it out this weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also when I was wiping the front A-Arms down I found a 8mm dia bolt about 0.75 inch long laying between the frame and A-Arm pivot . Looks like they dropped it at the factory when they assembled it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts