Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Boondockers had a YXZ at St. Ann's this weekend. I was able to talk a bit with the guy driving it. They had there turboed RZR's there as well. First off they ride hard and fast, it is obvious their personal RZR's are running some high boost. When I asked him what he thought of the YXZ, his words "if you like to shift, and I mean shift a lot". He said with boost or more power should help. Some of his other comments were you can definitely manipulate the power with the gears, it keeps motoring pretty good, but even at 10k rpm it falls off quickly, you defiantely need 1st gear. He said he couldn't lead with it. I tried several times to get a which is better, or what would you prefer in this environment with no definitive answer. He kept saying it depends on whether you want to shift or not. Myself and two others in the conversation got the impression he didn't love it. Anyhow, I was kind of disappointed after talking with him until out behind Choke I lost a belt. I still think I would rather shift than deal with belt issues.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It is decision between true sport car and family sedan, and he was right you need to like the shifting to enjoy YXZ. But if you prefer to shift to the drive and just pushing on gas pedal CVT is way to go. You don't really need to learn anything with the CVT at all, it is dummy proof system like family cars with automatic trany. IMO
Milos

·
Banned
228 Posts
It sounds more like it's turning into a 5 spd RX7 vs a auto corvette. The corvette is still gonna be more enjoyable to drive. I wanna shift while I'm smoking the Rzr, I don't want to be eating his roost and try to be happy that I'm back there changing the shit outta some gears.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is decision between true sport car and family sedan, and he was right you need to like the shifting to enjoy YXZ. But if you prefer to shift to the drive and just pushing on gas pedal CVT is way to go. You don't really need to learn anything with the CVT at all, it is dummy proof system like family cars with automatic trany. IMO
Milos
not a true statement. The wrong driver on a cvt can create issues. Loading in wrong gear, crawling in high, holding throttle in a position to not fully engage belt, going 40 in low etc... There are quite a few things to understand about the cvt to avoid being stranded or causing failures. All machines require some amount of skill or knowledge, even listening to the motor weather in the yxz or a cvt powered machine to aplly the right amount of throttle or to know what gear to be in

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
not a true statement. The wrong driver on a cvt can create issues. Loading in wrong gear, crawling in high, holding throttle in a position to not fully engage belt, going 40 in low etc... There are quite a few things to understand about the cvt to avoid being stranded or causing failures. All machines require some amount of skill or knowledge, even listening to the motor weather in the yxz or a cvt powered machine to aplly the right amount of throttle or to know what gear to be in
There's definitely dumbasses out there that can break anything!

Reactions: sand shark

·
Registered
677 Posts
It takes a lot more talent n know how to drive a manual trans in all conditions then a belt drive period. Belt drive is boring n anyone can drive it n I do mean anyone. U have to know how to put the key in it to start it too how hard is that, Same thing with a belt not hard at all to understand it n to drive it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Look I like the CVT too, but you really don't need to understand anything, just to read drivers manual one time and that is it. BEcause you either engage clutch and move or don't and not move at all . And just decide between the low or high , that about it.
You don't need any skill or knowledge, like you don't need any to drive cars with automatic trany. IMO
Believe me, if my wife don't have a problem to drive car with CVT must be pretty easy, she will never move car even 1 inch with manual trany. LOL
Milos

·
Registered
97 Posts
Look I like the CVT too, but you really don't need to understand anything, just to read drivers manual one time and that is it. BEcause you either engage clutch and move or don't and not move at all . And just decide between the low or high , that about it.
You don't need any skill or knowledge, like you don't need any to drive cars with automatic trany. IMO
Believe me, if my wife don't have a problem to drive car with CVT must be pretty easy, she will never move car even 1 inch with manual trany. LOL
Milos
driving an auto stick is mindless, you go up, you go down, a monkey could do it! Shit we put an ape in space, he flew a rocket. Your z-1 you just steer, no brains needed, its dummy proof, you said it.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
There are different levels of driving. With a CVT anyone can just take it for a ride but to really drive a CVT you need to understand a little bit about what it can and cant do. Otherwise it will breakdown. I agree the level of knowledge required to drive a CVT is way less butit does still require the basics. It only seems mindless because we all have lots of experience.

·
Registered
314 Posts
driving an auto stick is mindless, you go up, you go down, a monkey could do it! Shit we put an ape in space, he flew a rocket. Your z-1 you just steer, no brains needed, its dummy proof, you said it.
You forget I need to push on gas pedal too, but that pretty much it I need to do and know about driving CVT no matter what engine is in.....lol plus yeah we need some brain too drive to know where we are going. IMO
Milos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts