Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the clacking sound the YXZ makes on the rougher terrain on decent ? I get a little of that from my dirt bike on rough trails but man oh man the YXZ is way bad... I can't stand that back lashing sound and I'm sure you can feel it also in the YXZ.

It's just something that gets on my nerves and not so sure I can live with it.. Hearing that all day would drive me insane.

Please tell me what I'm hearing in some of these vids is my imagination.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't watched many of the newer videos, but got mine Friday. There is a clanking when starting out (clutch slipping and gears starting to engage) and also when slowing/turning while in diff-lock.
They also have a clutch on the front output to prevent "spike-loads" from damaging the rest of the drive train, so that slipping may be the sound you're hearing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know the exact noise you are describing! I've heard it in multiple videos of the YXZ. "Clanging/Clacking" are perfect words to describe! It seems to be most noticeable on ruff decents? Hopefully this is an easy fix, I don't want to hear my new $20K machine making this noise!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You sure that's not just brake noise ?

My xp1k and xp900 both make a clacking sound on steep declines when one or more of the wheels lock up.

I have heard the distinct drive train whine in a few of the videos, but it seems like clanking would be hard on intrrnals.
I remember the 800 diffs used to click and clank right before they locked down and exploded.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Has anyone noticed the clacking sound the YXZ makes on the rougher terrain on decent ? I get a little of that from my dirt bike on rough trails but man oh man the YXZ is way bad... I can't stand that back lashing sound and I'm sure you can feel it also in the YXZ.

It's just something that gets on my nerves and not so sure I can live with it.. Hearing that all day would drive me insane.

Please tell me what I'm hearing in some of these vids is my imagination.

Thoughts?
It is not your imagination and to some it will kill the deal on getting one possibly.

I think it is the slop in the various spike load limiters, if you look at how they are built there is basically a metal on metal coupler with a huge gap in it. It is a spring loaded cam dampner design that will allow the shafts to turn until it hits the opposing cam and then it will begin to climb the cam against the spring if there is enough force. I would imagine if there is enough force it will climb all the way and skip to the next gap. As you can see it the picture there is going to be metal on metal impacts (clackity clack clack) when the drivetrain is loaded unloaded, and there are THREE of these in the drivetrain:

cam dampner.jpg

A large cam dampner at the bottom left:

YXZ spike load dampner.JPG

Anyway you get the idea I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great explanation with your photos. I've been wanting to do a write up explaining these same points but you beat me to it. I've even noticed different wording being used in some of the videos shown online that leads to more confusion. Like everyone else here, I'm an enthusiast and wanted to continue the spread of good information about these new parts we aren't used to seeing.

The only thing I wanted to mention is the Front Diff. Torque Limiter (inside the transmission, last part before going outside to the front driveshaft yoke) is actually more of a clutch pack design with friction/steel plates that are designed to slip at a certain torque load. This mechanism is virtually maintenance free and shouldn't be the main cause of the "clacking" we are hearing in videos from the loading and unloading of the drivetrain. The attached picture shows a cutaway of this.

So between this Front Diff. Torque Limiter, cam damper on the input shaft coming into the transmission, and the cam damper on the output shaft (lower left in your 2nd pic), this driveline should be solid for many hard miles to come. yxz trans 5.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tx gave a good description of what the source of the noise is. When I saw the cutaway of the trans at the sand show I wondered if that would make noise. The spike torque damper which is the very bottom shaft in the tranny, and operates in the same manner as a Harley primary drive compensater.
It does not however, skip over to the next gap as it is limited by its travel. This design has been successful for many years in preventing shock load failures. You do want this believe me. Oil in the transmission should be kept clean and changed per the manual as the design does have the side effect of some ammount of contamination over time. with proper service, it should last the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wolverines have this exact same noise. It's not a cam limiter for sure. As you notice, there is no load on the motor or super light one coming down a hill. It's something to do with the suspension or drive lash. On mine it sounds like the swaybar hitting the side metal guides. I can't be sure but it's not an internal type of sound. Does it when transferring loads like going from forward to reverse or down rocky inclines. That's why I think it's the sway bar. Always seems to do it more when the buggy suspension tries to twist.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wolverines have this exact same noise. It's not a cam limiter for sure. As you notice, there is no load on the motor or super light one coming down a hill. It's something to do with the suspension or drive lash. On mine it sounds like the swaybar hitting the side metal guides. I can't be sure but it's not an internal type of sound. Does it when transferring loads like going from forward to reverse or down rocky inclines. That's why I think it's the sway bar. Always seems to do it more when the buggy suspension tries to twist.
That's a great point Deeyoh! It does sound more related to something in the suspension to me. Definitely a sound that aluminum tubing could make!

·
Registered
341 Posts
When we are saying cam dampner we aren't talking about the camshaft, just to be clear. This is the input from the engine to the transmission. It is a mechanical edge hitting a cam then riding up it for resistance. 1st picture above, see the slack?

It is not suspension, it is the drivetrain being loaded and unloaded. There is a load on the engine going downhill when the clutch is engaged, it is the drivetrain against the engine. Then the driver is giving a little gas to pick up speed and then letting off, so it is banging back and forth between being driven by the engine and then being driven by the rear wheels.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes I agree it's in the drive train, I feel as u get better in shifting n knowing what gear to be in at the right times u will not hear it as much as there will be a load on it. Just a thought

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tx gave a good description of what the source of the noise is. When I saw the cutaway of the trans at the sand show I wondered if that would make noise. The spike torque damper which is the very bottom shaft in the tranny, and operates in the same manner as a Harley primary drive compensater.
It does not however, skip over to the next gap as it is limited by its travel. This design has been successful for many years in preventing shock load failures. You do want this believe me. Oil in the transmission should be kept clean and changed per the manual as the design does have the side effect of some ammount of contamination over time. with proper service, it should last the life of the vehicle.
I wouldn't think the drive one at the bottom would be able to skip, what happens with it is it compresses a large spring as it climbs the cam. I was saying the cam dampner on the tranny input might possibly be able to skip. Probably not though since it appears they have a small clutch pack on it too.

We all have been talking about how the engine is capable of really big power but it seems the tranny and drive line will not be accepting that power. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't think the drive one at the bottom would be able to skip, what happens with it is it compresses a large spring as it climbs the cam. I was saying the cam dampner on the tranny input might possibly be able to skip. Probably not though since it appears they have a small clutch pack on it too.

We all have been talking about how the engine is capable of really big power but it seems the tranny and drive line will not be accepting that power. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Dude you are hilarious. You take the term negative nancy to a whole new level. The tranny has all kinds of spike protection and you see that as not accepting big power? It says exactly the opposite to me. I guess youve never road a dirt bike, or rode one hard enough to lock up the rear before. They chatter, its normal. Im not trying to pick a fight with you tx, but man you come off like you got a bone to pick with this new yamaha. Like an incognito troll. Give it a rest man!

·
Registered
589 Posts

In no way could it possibly be the cam dampeners making a clacking noise. That takes a ton of force to get them to slip over the cam. Even on dry pavement dumping the clutch doesn't make them slip or clunk. The front drive torque limiting clutch may slip some during hard takeoffs though. It'll be smooth and barely noticeable.

Again, not cam dampener but something in the drive line or suspension. Whatever it is, it's normal for Yamaha's and they still hold up better than any other's.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can tell you one thing for certain and then you can keyboard diagnose it from there. The noise doesn't exist for me in 2wd.

If I were to wage a guess, I would say it's in the front driveline somewhere. Almost like the split second it takes from freewheeling to tension (traction) and back. Never thought much about it until you guys pointed it out. Thanks for that. Something else to nut me up.

I'll keep an ear on it the next time out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In no way could it possibly be the cam dampeners making a clacking noise. That takes a ton of force to get them to slip over the cam. Even on dry pavement dumping the clutch doesn't make them slip or clunk. The front drive torque limiting clutch may slip some during hard takeoffs though. It'll be smooth and barely noticeable.

Again, not cam dampener but something in the drive line or suspension. Whatever it is, it's normal for Yamaha's and they still hold up better than any other's.
I don't think anyone is talking about the Cam Dampener "slipping" but rather the slop / slack in the Cam Dampener "rocking" back and forth without slipping.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts