Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a long video from Sand Mountain over the weekend in case you want to hear the car scream up the hill. The section I am going up is rarely ascended by SXS's because it is about the steepest slope on the whole mountain and they seem to stay on Comp Hill. It's not very long, though. Obviously I am using momentum to get me up. It was done in 2nd gear.

Oh - and there is no baffle.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and in case you could not figure out, I'm using stock tires which is why I needed to do this rolling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I plan on this kind of riding most of the time. Good to know the stock tires do well, but I bet some paddles and you are in 3rd easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like you had plenty of authority going up, enough you could let off at the top. The hill looks to be about as steep as China Wall in Glamis, but a little shorter (video can be deceiving). Nice vid though, and nice to see a YXZ doing something besides flat ground.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...not so fast on the paddles though. You can over-paddle this engine easy. I had my 28" #2 STU's (comp cut), on for the first day and it bogged it down. I could go anywhere but it had to be done a gear lower. MUCH more fun with the knobbies in 4wd. Yes, it made it up the hill in 2wd with a running start.

Until we can unleash some more power, the skat 9 Xtremes or #1 STU's will be better.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
...not so fast on the paddles though. You can over-paddle this engine easy. I had my 28" #2 STU's (comp cut), on for the first day and it bogged it down. I could go anywhere but it had to be done a gear lower. MUCH more fun with the knobbies in 4wd. Yes, it made it up the hill in 2wd with a running start.

Until we can unleash some more power, the skat 9 Xtremes or #1 STU's will be better.
I ended up ordering skat extreme 8's.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun to drive around. I am thinking you guys will need to stick to a paddle tire that is close to or slightly smaller than the stock tires. I bet a nice 7 or 8 paddle 26.5" Skat or the the 26" STU blasters on a 14" rim would be the ticket.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Skats 26" 8 paddle extreme is what I would run unless it was turboed. Wish I could have made it up last weekend to see it run, looks like you had the whole place to yourselves.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Based on my Wildcat, along with my experience this past weekend with the Yammie I am thinking a skat 9 Xtreme (or Stu#1). I have the 8 Xtremes and that tire was perfect for my stock cat. Then I went with a programmer, pipe and WCD and the 9 Xtremes were the ticket. This thing has way more power out of the box than the Cat did after mods so I believe the 8 paddles will fall just a tad bit short. Add to that the DRIVER controls the RPM so you can make the taller paddle work for you just by down shifting. But I will put a paycheck on this: Better to be under paddled than over in my opinion. You guys will be just fine with 8's. Maybe better than the rest. We now know what this thing is capable with just knobbies.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did it do in the long steep stuff towards the back of sand Mt?
Like a breeze. No problem getting into Super Bowl the steep way. I can only guess that one of the hundred people sitting at the bottom of the bowl watching the activities flashing around the top are on this site. I hear the Yellow Bird sounded pretty crazy buzzing through 3rd & 4th gear around the top. My neck still hurts from the G's. I'd love to hear from them.

Even on the shady East face of Super Bowl this thing was impressive. Straight up the hill until the final 100 feet when I had to zig zag a bit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts