Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what experience do some of you sled guys have with this 3cyl motor.

Does anyone know how large of a CC motor you could build this to.

Also how many turbo companies are out there making a reliable kit for 3cyl sled motor.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
So what experience do some of you sled guys have with this 3cyl motor.

Does anyone know how large of a CC motor you could build this to.

Also how many turbo companies are out there making a reliable kit for 3cyl sled motor.

Thanks guys
I'm sure there are plenty of turbo manufacturer out there but the rumor is MPI has a turbo that will not void your factory warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of the sled kits are reliable. I had a Apex motor that was 300hp for 9 seasons that was flawless. The trick is to stay away from fuel boxes that aren't very good. Pretty hard to argue with the price tag on the MPI kit especially if the warranty is valid. 5 psi is nothing for the 3 and 4 cyl motors. My only problem with MPI was the fuel box, GEMS i believe, i saw a few that didn't work well, hopefully they aren't the same. Remember deto is that motors worst enemy. Too much boost and not enough octane makes a mess haha. There will be many good turbo options very soon. If i ever get a yxz i will use a company called Boost It. Neils fuel controller and attention to detail sets him apart. If it dosen't run flawless he is not interested !

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I'm hoping this engine can get to about 130-ish hp with just bolt on mods. exhaust, tuner/reflash, maybe an intake. That would be about a 15% increase in hp which is reasonable with bolt on mods.

·
Registered
64 Posts
we will be flow testing the new yxz cylinder head hopefully soon, I will keep you posted as chuck from FLow Performance who ports my heads for other engines is excited to get his hands on it....will keep you guys in the loop....

·
Registered
74 Posts
It should also be noted at this point that Yamaha claims they have made changes to basic 3 cylinder snow engine. It will be interesting to compare it to the YXZ engine, and the older snow engine. I suspect things will compatible on some level, but other changes may have been made to prevent a direct bolt in swap of both 1049cc snow engines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Biggest hurdle will be changing output shaft for driveshaft flange instead of taper for CVT clutch. Im sure guys are already working on that. Would like to see an Apex motor in one. Problem with Apex motor is that there is a gear reduction to bring 10,500 Engine RPM down to 8500 crankshaft RPM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
listen get rid of that damn rotax rhino and open ur wallet and get a new sxs u son of a gun :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
DD, I hear you. NA would be the way to go if you could get it there. I believe strongly that there's about 14-17 HP on the table with just a tune and exhaust. Perhaps a little more to be gained at the inlet, but I'm not as confident. I took it apart and it looks decent. However, with it being a little under 90hp at the wheel stock, I'm not sure you can get to 130 with just bolt on mods - unless there is more to be gained with each throttle body. At that point, you may as well go turbo. Where I DO think you can get to your benchmark is with porting and perhaps a bump to 12.5 in compression, along with the basic goodies. What is so cool about this engine is that I think I could get the top end off this thing in 30 minutes. I would not even contemplate sending off the twin uppers on my cat because it was just too much of a hassle to get to. I'm just not that into hard labor these days. Anyway, the HP feels way different just in how it is delivered through the gearbox, vs CVT. It just feels more powerful, kind of like a stick shifter on a Camaro vs. the torque converter. 110HP to the rear wheels on this things would be insane. Just today, I was completely white knuckled pushing the machine to top speed on a straightaway on a very wide dirt fire road. It was just floating on top and not all that confidence inspiring. Seemed like it was just a hair from spinning out and at 79 mph, that would be a nasty end-result. My point is 20 extra horsepower would just force the wheels to be losing traction at even higher speeds in that particular scenario. I'm not sure the tires ever caught up with traction. BUT WE NEED SPEED. MORE MORE MORE. Good luck to you. We'll be watching!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
With a little luck, the output shaft will interchange... both have a 4 bolt pattern... but are splines on the crankshaft, along with bearings, the same? For 2016, Yamaha claims to have improved the snow engine further, new rods, crankshaft, and more. The sleds also gain the YCC-t for 2016. Looking at the cylinder head on YXZ, the exhaust bosses for the sleds can be seen cast in, un-machined, at 90 degrees from the bosses in use. Again, my guess is there are just enough differences to prevent the two engines to from being a 100% bolt in swap. The 1049cc engine can be purchased in brand new long block form for $2700, the part number for it has recently been superseded, so i wonder if they have moved to the new engine? That's a deal for a brand new normally aspirated engine that will lay down an additional 30+ HP... will it fit???

The triple 41mm throttle bodies support over 150hp normally aspirated on the sleds. The 1049 has an 82mm bore in place of the 80mm bore on the 998... less shrouding is good for power, not to mention the extra 51cc. We'll need to compare the ports, the camshafts will obviously be different. The sleds DO gain power from messing with the cam timing, just like many other Yamaha machines.

I have a 130hp version 1049cc in the shop. It's for another project... If anyone gets a 998 on the bench, perhaps we can compare some measurements, ports and such.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the new watercraft motor and the yxz are based on the same upgraded motor from the older 08 and up desgined nytro motor you probably have, I have one of thos sled 1049s too....but last month the watercraft was released with this new generation motor which includes in the family of uses our yxz's, which is good like u mentioned the 1049 added displacement, but all other engine long block items are suppose to be the same as Im told...I was told the sleds and watercraft were all upgraded to this new generation of motor....I like yamaha's mind set!....smart guys...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Vector engine, which is a little softer (5 - 10 hp) in tune than the Nytro/Viper... the largest difference is the camshafts. Looks like a pair of 2016 Viper camshafts can be had for under $300.... probably need the valve springs, too. Anyway... getting too far ahead with the hopeful speculation. Good info on the watercraft engine, I was unaware of that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
krazy kali kevin

·
Registered
171 Posts
DD, I hear you. NA would be the way to go if you could get it there. I believe strongly that there's about 14-17 HP on the table with just a tune and exhaust. Perhaps a little more to be gained at the inlet, but I'm not as confident. I took it apart and it looks decent. However, with it being a little under 90hp at the wheel stock, I'm not sure you can get to 130 with just bolt on mods - unless there is more to be gained with each throttle body. At that point, you may as well go turbo. Where I DO think you can get to your benchmark is with porting and perhaps a bump to 12.5 in compression, along with the basic goodies. What is so cool about this engine is that I think I could get the top end off this thing in 30 minutes. I would not even contemplate sending off the twin uppers on my cat because it was just too much of a hassle to get to. I'm just not that into hard labor these days. Anyway, the HP feels way different just in how it is delivered through the gearbox, vs CVT. It just feels more powerful, kind of like a stick shifter on a Camaro vs. the torque converter. 110HP to the rear wheels on this things would be insane. Just today, I was completely white knuckled pushing the machine to top speed on a straightaway on a very wide dirt fire road. It was just floating on top and not all that confidence inspiring. Seemed like it was just a hair from spinning out and at 79 mph, that would be a nasty end-result. My point is 20 extra horsepower would just force the wheels to be losing traction at even higher speeds in that particular scenario. I'm not sure the tires ever caught up with traction. BUT WE NEED SPEED. MORE MORE MORE. Good luck to you. We'll be watching!!!!
Maybe some bigger/better tires would help it feel more planted to the ground, let's hope so!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well if it can get to 125 hp with the bolt on mods that will be good enough for me. Like you said, the delivery of that hp makes it seem faster due to the manual tranny. Some of extra hp will get sucked up by bigger tires also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts