Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
346 miles- new clutch will be installed within 2-3 weeks- light bar and whips included- 30 inch tires, 15 inch wheels..
Make reasonable offer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yamaha really rubbed me the wrong way-- Burnt a clutch on flat ground-- they dont have the parts and wont cover it, so my week long glamis trip that has been planned for a month with family is not gonna be half as fun-- the machine is fun as can be, but yamaha didnt back their machine and released it without parts being available-- It really pisses me off-- so Id rather lose money than support them..

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yamaha really rubbed me the wrong way-- Burnt a clutch on flat ground-- they dont have the parts and wont cover it, so my week long glamis trip that has been planned for a month with family is not gonna be half as fun-- the machine is fun as can be, but yamaha didnt back their machine and released it without parts being available-- It really pisses me off-- so Id rather lose money than support them..
Well, sounds like a crappy situation for sure. I was assuming the clutch parts would be cross over parts, but I would also "assume" you wouldn't need to buy new clutches by now either!
See if you can find a dealer which sells both Yamaha and Polaris. Surely a dealer wouldn't beat on you (price wise) too bad on such a desired machine.

I have saw a few people in the past get such a good trade in offer to trade that it made more sense to pick up another machine than fix the one they already have!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the tires--- just me-- to which I laughed.. I apparently can drive anything else with a clutch, but I drive 346 miles with this machine and the clutch and clutch plate aRe toast--- Im done.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Original Poster - OP

You mentioned this was a flat ground machine but your early post indicated you and another forum member were at Glamis. In fact your posts indicate that your machine was piloted by someone else and was really pushing your YXZ. Is it possible that the clutch was abused? When was the first oil change?

·
Registered
32 Posts
That so sucks jf, sure understand your decision. That's a bad call for Yamaha not to back you on a new machine as they will loose more than just your support. Hopefully your vacation will be a blast anyway - maybe with a new machine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Original Poster - OP

You mentioned this was a flat ground machine but your early post indicated you and another forum member were at Glamis. In fact your posts indicate that your machine was piloted by someone else and was really pushing your YXZ. Is it possible that the clutch was abused? When was the first oil change?
That Glamis trip was 2 weeks ago-- this was a quick Sunday trip to Ocotillo, more specifically, pole line road- my buddy bought a new can am saturday night and he wanted to break it in before Halloween Glamis...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
That Glamis trip was 2 weeks ago-- this was a quick Sunday trip to Ocotillo, more specifically, pole line road- my buddy bought a new can am saturday night and he wanted to break it in before Halloween Glamis...
Is it possible that your buddy my have had his foot resting on the clutch pedal? Being how light the pedal feel is its possible to do without realizing your doing it. Hell after driving mine I get back in my truck and the clutch pedal feel like I am pushing a ton!

Reactions: zztop and jfulps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is it possible that your buddy my have had his foot resting on the clutch pedal? Being how light the pedal feel is its possible to do without realizing your doing it. Hell after driving mine I get back in my truck and the clutch pedal feel like I am pushing a ton!
Nobody drove my rig yesterday except me-- 3 dudes, 3 machines--
Im pretty giving and laid back about toys, but I also know who can and cant drive them-- Everybody who has driven this owns a yxz or a clutched car--

·
Registered
589 Posts
Probably didn't all happen yesterday but it could have. If some of the springs in the clutch pack were weak then it could slip and burn itself up. Dunno, what did the dealer say. I'm sure they didn't bother testing anything.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Original Poster - OP

I wouldn't let anyone drive mine, I have seen a lot of people let others drive theirs n a lot of the time something bad happens n the owner get f**ked, Sorry that's not for me. One thing about these clutches u shouldn't even rest ur foot on the pedal when not shifting. But all in all this clutch that Yamaha is using is suppost to be heavy duty unless really abused it shouldn't burn up in 346 miles. I am also sure that the 30" tires didn't help either which r heavier n will change the gear ratio too. JMHO

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont mind being a guinee pig or spending a ton of money on toys-- Piss poor customer service isnt acceptable.. Alba nate is hooking me up, but its still for sale

·
Registered
42 Posts
There really is no excuse for the clutch to fail that quickly.

Dirt bikes I use to feather a clutch all day running tight trails and never had to replace a clutch pack. Same with my toyota crawler, rode the clutch quite a bit on 40" tires and didn't replace a clutch.

It needs to take a lot more abuse than this or yamaha will have a problem on their hands and a lot of unhappy people. Just think how bad a reckluse will wear it out in the rocks haha.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Bigger wheels and tires-- much better ride..
Yes you get a much better ride. I have a rock crawler jeep . When I when from 33" tires to 37" I didn't hurt my clutch . I broke my transfercase twice before I realized I need to regear my axles from 4.10 ratio to 4.88. So when you put a 3" taller tire something needs to beefed up or changed to keep this thing working the way it was designed .

Reactions: AaronCMH and jfulps
1 - 20 of 83 Posts