Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to forum. Have been reading posts of new owners input and was hoping to get a bit more info. Wanted to get the opinion of current owners experience with the YXZ in mud and water. Areas that we ride have mud and water ruts that you must get thru in order to ride trails. Struggling between getting the YXZ vs RZR High Lifter. I know these machines have totally different functions but I ride with other Rzr High Lifters and XP 1000s. Moving from an XP 900 and really like the Yama. Just want to get opinions if it will get me thru the mud and occasional 1-2 ft or so deep water when necessary? Any advice and input would be most helpful so I can make a purchase. Thanks much

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The ground clearance on the YXZ is awesome and water crossings will be fine (I traversed a few myself without issues).

The High Lifter is a giant machine with huge mud tires and lots of lift. They really are two different SXS's your trying to compare. How much mud bogging are you planning to do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really plan to do a lot of mud bogging but some of the trails where we are seem to easily fill with water after rain. I really am leaning towards the yxz, but just don't have enough information as to how much mud it throws and being able to traverse the occasional water holes. My friend with the high lifter obviously has no trouble there, but he can't keep up with the other xp 1000 when on the trails. That being said, the xp did come close to taking in water on one excursion so now that friend is putting a snorkel kit on it. I hope the yxz will be versatile enough so that Im not getting stuck too often.

·
Registered
329 Posts
With stock tires it has been fine. You are going to have to learn to slip the clutch to start in the mud/water or buy the rekluse. It will mud just fine and all you need is a couple thousand rpm in first and the tires will spin. You can't compare the two machines bc the high lifter edition should have a gearing reduction ( the atv does, do not know on the xp) and is built strictly for the mud. The yxz will mud all day long but will not like slow speed chugging through the mud. Water crossings should be fine bc the air intake is in the center and half way up. Being in the middle makes it a lot harder to take in water bc in my experience it happens mostly when you dip one side too low
I haven't done deep mud but I have done some muddy ditch hill climbs and creek crossings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the two machines are very different, as I just want to make sure the yxz can do what I want it to do (trails and woods) and what I need it to do (some mud and water). I have been holding off on making the decision while trying to see what the new owners opinions are. Thanks for the input.
Do the front fenders work at all to keep some mud out? Will definitely add the windshield.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Very good video!
Shows a lot of trails that we on the east coast are very familiar with.
Definitely looks like it will take a little time to get in sync with the manual machine. I suspect some of us are excited about the new learning curve. While others will Hate that it takes more effort than simply mashing the throttle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best real world video I have seen so far. Thanks for posting. Reinforces that I made the right decision not to buy. Still would love to own one. If only I won the lottery and could afford more than 1 sxs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well... the Highlifter is not a "jacked up mud machine" like some have said. It has no lift, except for the stiffer springs maybe not settling as much as standard springs. With the 32" tires, I could go through a 4ft deep water hole, a 100 ft long mud run, then nail the whoops WOT at 50mph. If you are going to cruise and a main concern is getting where you need to go, it may be tough to beat. However if you're like me, you just want something different, more 'fun' to ride (why I sold mine). Not sure the YXZ is the answer after being modified to my terrain but it sure would be more fun to drive IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the information is much appreciated. Seems as though the yama can handle the mud, and maybe the water, but will likely be a wet and dirty ride. And Strubby, agree with you, may not be the best way to go, but looks like would be more fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Some one said it recently best IMHO. If you enjoy a challenge in rough stuff, this machine will be a blast. If you want to sit back and cruise, this ain't the machine. I can't help but wonder if a little more speed (and cleaning when back home) would have made those holes easier to traverse.

You'll get dirty, but that smile will be hard to clean off the face :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is what I am hoping as well! I think it will just take a little seat time and learning to handle what all say is a totally different SXS

·
Registered
7 Posts
My experience with mud and water was much different! First ride this weekend flew past my buddy in the whoops but when the trial in North Florida got muddy and wet, my new YXZ was done. Did not even get to put it in 4 wheel drive and the clutch was done had to be pulled back to camp by a RZR. It is back at the dealer with only 1.5 miles on odometer. This must be why Yamaha only showed it performing in the sand. Will post pics of all the broken parts next week when to deler takes it apart. Very disappointed is my new YXZ. Just now hearing chatter that the new clutch has problems to late for me, found out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My experience with mud and water was much different! First ride this weekend flew past my buddy in the whoops but when the trial in North Florida got muddy and wet, my new YXZ was done. Did not even get to put it in 4 wheel drive and the clutch was done had to be pulled back to camp by a RZR. It is back at the dealer with only 1.5 miles on odometer. This must be why Yamaha only showed it performing in the sand. Will post pics of all the broken parts next week when to deler takes it apart. Very disappointed is my new YXZ. Just now hearing chatter that the new clutch has problems to late for me, found out the hard way.
This does suck. For anyone! Search some threads on here/ "for sale" i think.

A couple other guys had some problems very early in the miles too. Seems there is a "juder spring" not working properly.
I personally don't know what a judder spring is, so you will have to talk to your dealer about it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Haha hate to disagree with you Rider414 but that's me in that video and that girl will be the first one hollaring to hit the mud!
That's awesome - I just remember seeing the first mud obstacle and it went flying, she was looking over herself for damage. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put 30" Roctanes on and it has made a massive difference in how the YXZ has performed in the mud. No sure if the extra height or the better grip is causing it to perform so differently but I'm don't feel near as bogged down as I did with the stock Bighorns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put 30" Roctanes on and it has made a massive difference in how the YXZ has performed in the mud. No sure if the extra height or the better grip is causing it to perform so differently but I'm don't feel near as bogged down as I did with the stock Bighorns.
So how do 30`s affect the gearing? Surely 1st gear must seem really tall now?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts