Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a lot of talk of how this machine won't fair well on our mountain trails. Well, I call BS on that. I grew up on Windrock with manual "sport" quads and bikes. The truth is "slow" trails are not really slow- people only drive them slow. I just mow over the rocky rutted trails and oops what about those tight hair pin curves you come up on- I tell you what you do- brake hard, dive into it, downshift and give it hell coming out of it.....

However, that won't be allowed with the wife along, but I don't foresee any problems driving slower when riding with her or when any of my "Roll Tide " buddies show up... Lol

Technical?- well all that is around here is rock bashing and what some call abuse. It will be fun to play on and if the YXZ front diff truely locks and don't let go like EVERY rzr front diff does when stressed, I will be happy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ride in Western PA and sometimes Hatfield, a lot of it on a raptor 700r tearing it up like you. I am in agreement, the only people on here who this this machine won't perform well in our kind of trails simply can't drive. I am actually so stoke about this yxz I am thinking about trading in my raptor and grizzly to get one, I just bought a wolverine but hey, it's only money right lol.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't know if it is a capable "east-coast" vs a capable Gila County Arizona vs a capable Idaho vs a capable Tennessee machine.

But I do know that it lacks a handy device found on many (all ?) sport and utility SxS vehicles -- a Low-Range selector.

Some consider that drive reduction to be crucial for the often desirable task of slow-climbing (rather than high-speed bashing/attacking) a technical hill.

I don't know what the 1st gear final-drive is on the YXZ -- I haven't seen it published. The videos suggest that first is fairly tall. One poster said that a Yamaha tech said it wasn't designed for that particular task and that they had something coming in the future.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I ride in Western PA and sometimes Hatfield, a lot of it on a raptor 700r tearing it up like you. I am in agreement, the only people on here who this this machine won't perform well in our kind of trails simply can't drive. I am actually so stoke about this yxz I am thinking about trading in my raptor and grizzly to get one, I just bought a wolverine but hey, it's only money right lol.
Sorry to go off topic but, how well do you like your Wolverine? I ask because I have a buddy that is looking at getting a new SxS next year and he has been looking at the Teryx. He wasn't aware of the Wolverine until I mentioned it to him. He currently owns a Yamaha 700 Grizzly (really likes) and a RZR 800 50" but is looking for more comfort (back pain issues) as well as better off-road capable SxS (ground clearance, storage room, good diffs, etc.).
Thanks, T.K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Around here there are a lot of adult beverage drinking, one handed, stop and go 'slow folks' in the trails... not saying anything is wrong with that at all, I get on that level sometimes, but prefer the rush of hitting the trails hard and fast. Many trails around here are unmarked and two way, so sport riding must be done very carefully. One minute you're going through a 3 1/2ft deep water hole, the next minute there a WOT 1/2 mile long whoop section, then hammer down drifting wide turn, THEN bouncing fenders off trails squeezing between trails. I think this YXZ could do it all no problem, question is how it will do with larger tires needed for this riding. We'll see how it does, still #1 machine on my list right now...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to go off topic but, how well do you like your Wolverine? I ask because I have a buddy that is looking at getting a new SxS next year and he has been looking at the Teryx. He wasn't aware of the Wolverine until I mentioned it to him. He currently owns a Yamaha 700 Grizzly (really likes) and a RZR 800 50" but is looking for more comfort (back pain issues) as well as better off-road capable SxS (ground clearance, storage room, good diffs, etc.).
Thanks, T.K.
PM Sent
Around here there are a lot of adult beverage drinking, one handed, stop and go 'slow folks' in the trails... not saying anything is wrong with that at all, I get on that level sometimes, but prefer the rush of hitting the trails hard and fast. Many trails around here are unmarked and two way, so sport riding must be done very carefully. One minute you're going through a 3 1/2ft deep water hole, the next minute there a WOT 1/2 mile long whoop section, then hammer down drifting wide turn, THEN bouncing fenders off trails squeezing between trails. I think this YXZ could do it all no problem, question is how it will do with larger tires needed for this riding. We'll see how it does, still #1 machine on my list right now...
Sounds like we have similar tastes lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been hearing a lot of talk of how this machine won't fair well on our mountain trails. Well, I call BS on that. I grew up on Windrock with manual "sport" quads and bikes. The truth is "slow" trails are not really slow- people only drive them slow. I just mow over the rocky rutted trails and oops what about those tight hair pin curves you come up on- I tell you what you do- brake hard, dive into it, downshift and give it hell coming out of it.....

However, that won't be allowed with the wife along, but I don't foresee any problems driving slower when riding with her or when any of my "Roll Tide " buddies show up... Lol

Technical?- well all that is around here is rock bashing and what some call abuse. It will be fun to play on and if the YXZ front diff truely locks and don't let go like EVERY rzr front diff does when stressed, I will be happy

I agree with you jdxyz with the exception of "roll tide" because my buckeyes "rolled" your asses last year and if you make it to the playoffs this year we will do it again...lol

I don't get people complaining that it doesnt have a low range.... it has 5 ranges (1st, 2nd, 3rd...ect). add low range to that now your adding 5 more gears (10 different gears total) and probably another $1000 to the price tag for no reason. I'm sure 1st gear is low enough to do any type of rock crawling, hill climbing, mudding...ect especially if you put the rekluse clutch in it. I could rock crawl my yfz atv in 4th gear when i had the rekluse clutch in it... the rekluse slips and feathers the clutch for you. I'm positive that people will LOVE the rekluse clutch. I raced them mx, gncc, and trail rode with them on quads and they are amazing... I pulled almost every holeshot in mx at the national level because my rekluse did all the work for me. I'd start in 3rd gear and instead of revving up the motor and dumping the clutch i would hold the brake and hit the gas a little and when the gate dropped just floor it and the clutch slipped perfectly everytime. They are also extremely durable and easy to install/adjust. My clutch packs were actually lasting me longer with my rekluse than with a full hinson race clutch in my quads.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RTR!!!!! WHOA NELLY Jerry. You talking about me driving slow????? Ha ha. Yep I've slowed down a few MPH over the years. As far as the buckeyes go, we will see you again . Can't wait either Saban and urban play some good games against each other.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Every sport ATV that I have ever come across on the trails was absolutely abysmal in the rocks. Maybe they thought they were doing good? I dunno but it was entertaining watching all of them over the years absolutely struggle over rocky sections, especially rocky uphill section. It was 100% of them too not a single one have I ever seen do well. Usually there are at least 4 or 5 running together so it is like hearing circus music watching them try to make it from every possible angle. So when someone says they rock crawl their sport ATV I just laugh a little, sorry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Every sport ATV that I have ever come across on the trails was absolutely abysmal in the rocks. Maybe they thought they were doing good? I dunno but it was entertaining watching all of them over the years absolutely struggle over rocky sections, especially rocky uphill section. It was 100% of them too not a single one have I ever seen do well. Usually there are at least 4 or 5 running together so it is like hearing circus music watching them try to make it from every possible angle. So when someone says they rock crawl their sport ATV I just laugh a little, sorry.
LOL, rocks or BOULDERS? If it is to the point the rocks are as big as the machine, those are boulders to me, and that's a lack of 4WD causing the issue, not a manual transmission.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What I would call rocks, under 12" rocks with no appreciable ledges or anything, just plenty of places for a wheel to be in a chock like position.
Oh man! You must not encounter good drivers very often then...It's really rocky on our powerline and gas line trails in Western PA, and I usually make it up the hills as fast as or faster than the guys I ride with on utility atvs(4wd) or utvs. Now I'm not trying to fool anyone here, if you aren't damn good it really would be like a circus event trying to watch a sport quad on 12" rocks up a hill...but I am pretty damn good on my bike lol. Plus my Raptor is a lot better equipped for trails than say a 450 sport bike would be.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Oh man! You must not encounter good drivers very often then...It's really rocky on our powerline and gas line trails in Western PA, and I usually make it up the hills as fast as or faster than the guys I ride with on utility atvs(4wd) or utvs. Now I'm not trying to fool anyone here, if you aren't damn good it really would be like a circus event trying to watch a sport quad on 12" rocks up a hill...but I am pretty damn good on my bike lol. Plus my Raptor is a lot better equipped for trails than say a 450 sport bike would be.
Maybe you are right, none had talent. Rider absolutely does matter. They were so far off the mark though, not even in the game really. I imagine the best of them would be like the best kid in pee wee football league. . . . . he looks great in pee wee but in the NFL not so much.

Around here those pathways along powerlines and gas lines are called "roads", interesting you call those trails.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe you are right, none had talent. Rider absolutely does matter. They were so far off the mark though, not even in the game really. I imagine the best of them would be like the best kid in pee wee football league. . . . . he looks great in pee wee but in the NFL not so much.

Around here those pathways along powerlines and gas lines are called "roads", interesting you call those trails.
LOL. Up here we actually have elevation changes...and real rocks. To call them roads is laughable. They don't service any of these power lines with vehicles, not physically possible...and the trails we ride are all around the lines, not underneath them, that's a good way to get arrested. We occasionally hop on the pipeline trails, but for the most part stay to the sidelines of them. I will have to see if I can find some pictures for you, but I have never taken any myself, so I will have to ask my friends. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My guess is most people saying it won't make a good trail machine have little if any race experience on a quad or dirtbike. There idea of a trail ride and mine are obviously not the same. I'm not looking to creep on this thing, it's going to be ran hard from day one. We'll see how many are lined up in Florida for round 1 of GNCC racing next year.

Edit: GO BUCKEYES!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We ride rock gardens that are lined with microwave sized rocks...... Sport quads do not fair well. I've Ra Ed 250r s on motor cross tracks. There is no comparison. Proof is in the pudding. We will find out soon enough.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We ride rock gardens that are lined with microwave sized rocks...... Sport quads do not fair well. I've Ra Ed 250r s on motor cross tracks. There is no comparison. Proof is in the pudding. We will find out soon enough.
To me rocks don't start until they are basketball sized. A rock garden with 12" to 36" rocks is manageable by any SxS but it isn't the easiest of going and is next to impossible on a sport quad and even a lot of work on a good 4x4 utility ATV. Bigger rocks half the size of a UTV and equal to the size of a UTV become impossible for a sport quad and nearly impossible but for all except the most daring 4x4 utility ATV riders. Some UTV's will fail on these rocks.

The YXZ will be able to handle the smaller rocks easily, and even the bigger rocks with work. Where I think it will struggle is in steep uphill climbs with ledges, especially undercut ledges, where the ability to maintain smooth power is key because if you don't you fall back down and if you hammer it to make it there is significant chance of rolling either sideways or backwards.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts