Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some decent in cab footage today in Ocotillo Wells, Ca .
The first bit has a 15 mph speed limit while I follow my son and his buddy out to the trails. I got it up to 72mph before pulling back.
I planned on getting all kinds of awesome footage but in about 30 minutes of riding I hit a nasty jagged rock sticking out of a dirt wall. It slashed both right tires. Luckily I got to limp back about 5 miles to my trailer. Major bummer!!! :mad:
At 105 degrees outside, I was not gonna get stranded. So I must say I was happy that I made it back without any damage.
So after about 2 hours total ride time, I love this thing. No complaints. I am a mx rider(WR450) and never owned an SxS. I really can't say its better or worse than a Polaris but I would be bummed without the manual tranny. I have a Subaru brz and Camaro zl1, both manual, and wouldnt have it any other way.
2wd in the sand washes was a freaking blast. 50-70mph and drifting around safely was a great feeling.
The YXZ just needs some add-ons and it is gonna be so great.
Windshield? I think so.
Spare tire? Yes!
Cargo box. Yes.
More power? Sure why not.:rolleyes: But I am happy so far.
Sorry I could'nt post better video and faster bigger better stuff but I was getting used to it.
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
94 Posts
What sandman said, nice to see one in an area that I know better than the back of my hand.

Sucks about the tires. What kinda bikes was your boy & his friend riding? Thought I heard a ring ding ding in there (2stroke)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I agree u r really moving around a lot in there, U really need to get harnesses then it will be totally different, Before I had my harnesses I would sit up like u when I knew I was going to hit a wash out ect ect. Its a lot better with harnesses period. Like the video that YXZ sounds awesome. I see that u are getting use to the gearing. Thanks again it was great. Oh yes the stock 2.0's r only 4 ply junk, u r going to need at least 6 ply or 8 ply for that weight of the sxs. I am jealous wish I had mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the seat all the way back. I have not found my place in this thing yet but you may be right.
Just looked like the excitement of getting used to something new. The seats recline isn't much. Get some 4 or 5 pt harnesses and you won't be able to move your back off the seat. Driving is not riding...body English not required. Pretty soon you will be tearing it up and you will be so relaxed your body will barely be moving at all. Also out in the California desert I find the windshields make the cab area too hot and the windshield gets so dirty so fast it becomes hard to see out of. The first mods I always make are safety and comfort. Stronger cage, seats, belts and lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a little suspension tuning might be in order. Seemed like you were getting tossed around pretty good in the video
I was hitting some really big whoops. You can't see them in the video. Anyone that goes to Ocotillo knows . I kept thinking about the yamaha video taking the whoops at 50 and gliding over them, and that just was'nt happening.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to see real world driving in an area I'm familiar with. Thought you might turn right on devils slide lane there on the way to San Felipe ....a few nice turns on that section.
We did go to shell reef and the riding area just past it on the left. That's where I cut the tires. Man I had some fun for about 30 minutes. hahaha

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just looked like the excitement of getting used to something new. The seats recline isn't much. Get some 4 or 5 pt harnesses and you won't be able to move your back off the seat. Driving is not riding...body English not required. Pretty soon you will be tearing it up and you will be so relaxed your body will barely be moving at all. Also out in the California desert I find the windshields make the cab area too hot and the windshield gets so dirty so fast it becomes hard to see out of. The first mods I always make are safety and comfort. Stronger cage, seats, belts and lights.
Good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know those whoops right there. My SCU will hobby horse on those if I'm doing anything under about 25mph. 25-50 you can feel them, over 50 it feels like flat ground.

I knew exactly where you were at all times of that vid.

Anybody who goes to OW a lot knows that some weekends are butter & some are just plain rough.

Can't tell in the vid but it looked right about in the middle of rough & butter smooth.

Is that about how you seen it?

Oh, I know it was hot but did you feel a lot of heat in the cockpit?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for posting!

I'll also chime in on harnesses making the ride much more controllable and makes the ride "feel" smoother.

The fact that you can not only hear the YXZ engine over the sound of the transmission, but also hear the YZ85 over the transmission takes away any concerns that I had about it being noisy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know those whoops right there. My SCU will hobby horse on those if I'm doing anything under about 25mph. 25-50 you can feel them, over 50 it feels like flat ground.

I knew exactly where you were at all times of that vid.

Anybody who goes to OW a lot knows that some weekends are butter & some are just plain rough.

Can't tell in the vid but it looked right about in the middle of rough & butter smooth.

Is that about how you seen it?

Oh, I know it was hot but did you feel a lot of heat in the cockpit?
I think it was a bit rough. Maybe from some recent rain washing away the sand.
My one minor complaint is the heat coming from under the shifter console. My right foot was burning hot. Gotta figure that out and how to vent it better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome! Thanks for posting!

I'll also chime in on harnesses making the ride much more controllable and makes the ride "feel" smoother.

The fact that you can not only hear the YXZ engine over the sound of the transmission, but also hear the YZ85 over the transmission takes away any concerns that I had about it being noisy.
So far, I love the sounds that the yxz makes. No complaints there. And I can't wait to hear some new tones from upgraded exhaust.

Harnesses are next on the shopping list.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts