1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read about this on FB, Yami got 2nd and 3rd overall

TQRA - Trackside Online Results

From Sandy Thomas-

"Took the new Yxz to the Atv Utv Pro Challenge this weekend and pulled the holeshot and ended up 2nd in the 1000 class. Car drove very well but we still need to dial in more suspension. Also need a pipe and ecu flash or programmer from Nate Martinez at Alba or Dan Lamey at Dasa before our next big race in a few weeks. I want to think Aaron Boterf at Abf Fab for the cage and mods and getting it done in short notice. God speed!!"

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah , I'm pretty sure we are witnessing the changing of the guard. (In racing, not rock crawling or trail riding)

This is not a total Bash of Polaris or CanAm either. They have put out a very competitive car for us Racers a long time now.

The two series I run in are dominated by each brand. The utvrr will have 35 to 45 cars. All are Polaris except for a few CanAms every now and then. The gncc series has a better showing of CanAms, but its still 70% Polaris.

Both these series bring some big name teams, as well as a lot of privateer talent too. I see the Yamaha really being able to make a solid presence by next summer.

I'm also sure the Polaris and CanAm teams will be hard to knock off the top steps, especially with their years of testing knowledge and deep pockets too. But I think the Yamaha will give a lot of the privateer's a better platform to compete against the bigger, more funded teams.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The incoming results make me think the Bert's race video is pretty much b.s., either that or the guy driving the Yami just couldn't drive worth a crap

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Top speed and the ability to run wide open for an unlimited time without the worry of burning up a belt is going tomake a huge difference in the utv desert racing scene i believe

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Top speed and the ability to run wide open for an unlimited time without the worry of burning up a belt is going tomake a huge difference in the utv desert racing scene i believe

I agree over the long desert races it will dominate. The tight trail races maybe not as much becuase it will take more time for a driver master the car.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The incoming results make me think the Bert's race video is pretty much b.s., either that or the guy driving the Yami just couldn't drive worth a crap
Yeah I don't care about drag racing these things but dumping the clutch isn't necessarily the best way to launch a car quickly.

·
Banned
228 Posts
I think the drag race is a necessary evil, it tells us witch car accelerates faster. Thats great knowledge when woods racing. The yamaha should be a great desert car, not sure about tight woods racing.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I didn't really worry too much about the drag racing. Those are fun and probably impotant to recreational scene, but for real world racing, the results depend on so much more.

We were racing a stock 570 when the little Wildcat came out. I rushed right out and bought one because of how much it was spanking the 570s in all the videos.

Well, it was faster in a strait smooth field for sure, but as soon as a few curves, rutts, and bumps got involved, it couldn't keep up.
I drove both on our practice track with a good lap times. On a 4 minute lap the WC was consistently 15 seconds slower. And our race laps are 17+ minutes. That means the WC would be a minute slower with the same Driver at the wheel.
Of course, we changed out the shocks and widen the wheel base so we eventually got it to with in the same times as the 570.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think the drag race is a necessary evil, it tells us witch car accelerates faster. Thats great knowledge when woods racing. The yamaha should be a great desert car, not sure about tight woods racing.
I agree on the part about this being a great desert platform to start with.

But I lm Not sure about the woods racing aspect for a different reason. I think speed wise, it is close enough.

And stock vs stock, I am confident it will be faster in the woods Racing. Racing an xp1k with OEM suspension is almost impossible to do. LoL

Of course, we all know Racers will change their suspension first thing if needed (I'm hoping the Yamaha will be OK right out or the box tho)

I think what will make it slower in the woods will be the shifting of gears. On a quad or dirt bike, being able to select the right gear is crucial, but with a sxs I am thinking the cvt may have the edge.

I am giving the yxz a shot for two reasons.
1) I know how much maintenance it takes to keep a Polaris finishing.
2). I'm looking forward to shifting. :)

I'm not brand loyal to anyone tho. If we can't get the Yamaha on the top box, then we will sell it and go back to a Polaris.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Also from what I hear is that the YXZ took 2nd n 3rd in the latest race. I think it will only get better n better with more seat time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm anxious to see it compete in the WORCS series. Anybody know of a car getting ready for WORCS?
Nelson will be racing in the WORCS and I believe BITD next season. I think Weller will be racing in the WORCS series as well. Next season we should see quite a few Yamahas in the various race series.

For me I am interested to see how the YXZ does in BITD and SCORE desert racing. With the speed limiter removed the YXZ should be good speeds in the desert. It will also be a good test on the transmission and entire drive train.

Next year is going to be a great race season with all the manufactures battling it out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Racing on a track is much different than slamming down the throttle to go straight up a dune or on flat ground.

Where they shot the video is Glamis and that video is spot on for that area. Sand robs power and not being in the perfect RPM range is going to kill the YXZ. The YXZ is no different then riding a quad in the sand. You miss a shift or not in a good RPM range and you lose all your momentum and quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Prepare for the bubble burst guys..

from Mike Garrison the 4th place racer :

Capture.JPG

Notice how the rest of the field was a DNS below Mike?

I was there for the past weekend in Texas, I was also there at Glen Helen for the worcs. The Yamaha was outmatched by the rzrs it raced. It WILL be a dominate force in things like Baja, the Mint, The Vegas to Reno where top speed matters, but tight short course races are not for it.

Watch the distance that is between 2nd and Dustin at Glenn Helen (you can see 2nd place going up the hill as dustin is entering the last corner - almost a full straight away. Dustins car had a Doebeck reflash and exhaust. The rzr 1000's had the same done to their cars and walked from him. He advanced when cars DNF'd , the argument of Driver error in Dustins case (who self proclaimed help develop the yxz on facebook for the past 3 years) or of "well when the reflash and pipe happens the yamaha will dominate" is false hope. There was another video posted on here that showed the start of the race where Dustin drops way back at the start..

Southwick for NEATV this weekend also had a YXZ race at it and it was dominated by rzr and Canams according to the guys there it was embarrassing.

I'm a huge fan of the car and it is fun as hell to drive and puts a smile on my face... but take the blinders off guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yamaracer you might as well not waste your time because most of the guys here are not willing to accept that the polaris is better than the yxz in anything. As soon as you try to say otherwise they act like you work for polaris and you don't know what your talking about. I've said multiple times that the cvt does a better job of keeping the engine in the peak power range over a shifting transmission a couple times and everyone refuses to believe and thinks i bleed polaris which couldn't be farther from the truth. I hate my xp1k because it breaks no stop and i'm going to sell it and get a yxz in its place but i've accepted that the yxz will not accelerate as fast, won't win in a drag race and it won't be as fast in the tight woods where my polaris cvt is much easier to get power to the ground at any speed at anytime because of the cvt. The main reason I'm buying a yxz is because i'm hoping and think it will probably be more reliable (which i wouldn't even say that yet considering they havn't been tested by the public for very long) and being a former mx racer I enjoy shifting gears and being able to use a clutch.

·
Registered
589 Posts
LOL, you guys have no idea what a sense of deja vu this brings out. It's almost exactly like the YFZ 450 vs the Predator 500's debates. We all know now how that turned out in the end. It did take some time to get tuning down but it's a purpose built race machine vs a non race machine.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts