Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Can I pick your brains for a minute? I currently have a 2016 Can-Am maverick 1000r. My wife and I like the machine, but it has no power steering. It beats the hell out of me on rocky trails. I would really like a machine with power steering. I came across a nice 2017 Yamaha YXZ but I'm not really familiar with them. I have heard some negatives about the gearing for steep terrain and rocky trails. I live in Surprise, Arizona so this is a big concern for me. Can anyone give me some feedback that has experience with desert riding on the YXZ? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think you might be surprised at the "tractability" (as one member put it) of the stock set-up. I ride Tucson area trails and fire roads. It goes pretty much anywhere I want to for the most part. Have I turned around? Yes. Have I gone up some pretty gnarly climbs that Razor buddies wouldn't? Yes. I am not a rock crawler but enjoy a rutted, rocky hill climb and they do it without to much issue. Pick a line up the hill and prosecute it!

Will they take you for a test ride or allow you to drive it? Then you can get an indication for yourself. And if it isn't low enough for you, there are options available. Swapping to the 19 gear set is really cheap parts wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't get crazy when we ride. We like to go to wickenburg, the Salome area, and around Alamo lake. Alot of hill climbing and some rocky trails. Things get a little hairy occasionally, but we're more about seeing the sights and having fun than a crazy adrenaline rush. My Can-Am is very capable and I want to make sure the YXZ will take us to the same places with no trouble. I can't drive the yxz because it's at a local dealership.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SE SS
337 Posts
I have 2 Can Am Mavericks and just got a 2019 YXZ.
The gearing and car will work for what you describe. I find myself even short shifting into 2nd (it seems to shift smoother).
And it tractors pretty good in even 2nd gear. 1st gear is low enough for anything I've come across. Just pick a line and commit.
My Mavericks have power steering, so I can't speak to your issue there.

Outside of that ..
The YXZ feels like a Lexus and makes my Mavericks feel like a milk truck with 3 flat tires.
It is real obvious on the pavement at 50mph +. The Mav wanders around.
Super quiet. No squeaks or clanks. Turns in it's own skin.
Girlfriend loves how smooth it is.
She likes having doors. And she said, "you sit in the YXZ and the Mav feels like you crawl up into the car".

20170428_184249.jpg

20190215_103349.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. Do you know if the gearing is the same in the 2019 as it is in the 2017? I worry about the "low torque" people seem to talk about. And just so I understand correctly, this car with paddle shifters won't stall on hills or while rock climbing like a true manual tranny, right?

·
Registered
137 Posts
For some people the Yxz s from 16 -18 are not geared low enough for the tighter rocky stuff. You can regear them and it will be bullet proof. The 19 has been regeared and people seem to love it. I have a heavy flywheel on my 16 and am putting the 19 gears in mine this year just because I want to. I bought mine because I have yet to be stranded by a Yamaha product and I do a lot of solo riding. .. plus the Yxz is the most fun you can have in a side by side . Only drawback is they don;t have a high resale value due to people being lazy and don't know how to shift one so check your prices and you should be able to get a good deal.It also means you can afford to customise it to your tastees. I saved 1000s by buying a last year model. Hope this helps and have fun! Oh, and my wife loves my Yxz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice!! I am looking at a new last year's model as well. It's a great deal, and I love the looks of it it. So you don't think the stock gearing would be good for the AZ desert?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you buy it and don’t like the gearing it can be changed to suit your needs . I bought a 16 and changed the gearing like a lot of us did and am not afraid to go on any nasty rocky trail and still has the ability to haul ass in the desert. 45 - 15 gear set . Plan on 2500 to have gears done . Or go the 19 because it’s capable out of the box

·
Registered
505 Posts
If your happy with your Maverick you can add a elec p/s unit from SuperATV for around $500ish and it eliminates feedback through the steering wheel when hitting rocks. I've owned a commander, two mavericks & a 16' YXZ so here's my opinion. I prefer the 45/15 gears in my YXZ over the stock gearing for the more technical stuff & works great with 30" tires. I'm sure some may argue but the stock gearing is ideal for flat desert riding & the dunes. 1st gear is taller than what I like for technical riding, It can be done with stock gears but its harder on the vehicle & more work for the driver. The Maverick has way more low end torque than the YXZ which is great for crawling, but I have way more fun driving my YXZ, seating position is better, quality is better & parts are way cheaper for the YXZ than the Maverick if you ever need any.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If there's not a huge price difference between the 17' your looking at & a 19' YXZ model, i would go with the the 19' model. The updated gearing, rear located radiator, better shocks, stronger connecting rods, etc are well worth spending a little extra to get the 19' IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. I might have to stick with the maverick. I have searched the internet extensively and there are no power steering kits made for the 16-17 Mavericks. All of the kits are for up to the 2015 year models only. Super atv, wicked built, etc... I really want power steering, but I don’t want to buy a YXZ and have to put a lot of time and money into regearing and setting it up just to ride over a few rocky AZ trails. Thanks again for the input. Happy trails!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought my 16 and even though I got ripped off between tubeworks and the corpus dealer (tranny was damaged in shipping or one of their shops and I had to eat the difference I'll save for another thread to see if either company tries to make it right) I still love the tubeworks gears. They work great. I went from doing level 4 trails motor dying allot and burning clutch to just to finish trail . Now I cam walk up hard level 5 trails with no problem. Machine is crazy capable. Yamaha should put the lower first STOCK. I Also just think the yamaha is more dependable and that really matters for way away trail riding and it is fast as shit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would call SuperATV & Wickedbilt because there's no difference between between a 15', 16' or 17' Maverick if it doesn't have the Factory DPS that I know of. I've owned both, I had a SuperATV on one Maverick & a Wickedbilt on the other. The SuperATV is waterproof & the Wickedbilt isn't as much. I liked how the Wickedbilt unit is tucked up under the dash a little more than SuperATV but both units worked great.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I might have to stick with the maverick. I have searched the internet extensively and there are no power steering kits made for the 16-17 Mavericks. All of the kits are for up to the 2015 year models only. Super atv, wicked built, etc... I really want power steering, but I don’t want to buy a YXZ and have to put a lot of time and money into regearing and setting it up just to ride over a few rocky AZ trails. Thanks again for the input. Happy trails!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you like slow big rocky up hill its not the best. Key word slow, I have a 17 SS I drive it very hard balls to the wall 90% of the time I ride fast trails desert like trails I go up huge hills all the time you just really have to drive this thing and you will absolutely love it

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 2019 made more sense as many of the changes addressed issues the earlier model customers had voiced; gearing too tall (fixed), heat in cabin and radiator clogging (fixed), awkward cage visually (fixed), brakes not strong enough (fixed), sport shifting lag (fixed).

The $$ to make these modifications to an earlier model put them into the same range $$ and the 2019 is all factory modified so better than me installing Tubeworks or Weller stuff and it is done, no waiting, less frustration.

Yes I chose the 2019 over two really nice 2017's at Moto City in Anthem, AZ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '16 w/stock gears and 30's up from 28's last year. I ride around SoCal and near Havisu (Park Moabi). I'll give one instance where I had issues. We rode Hualapai mountains. There were two hills we went down and I was very nervous about going back up. I'm a wheeler/rock crawler/dunner/dirt biker my whole life so it wasn't inexperience but I made the decision that we would not be climbing these hills OR I let my gal ride up w someone else and take the risk which in this case would have been almost certain death. Super steep, rutted, rocky hill with hundreds of ft drop off both sides. There's no stopping on that hill! If you gave it hell you could bounce sideways and shoot right off the side or roll backwards and barrel roll a million times down a canyon. It was that intense! In that one instance, I really wished I had regeared or had a belt car but the other 99.9% of the time I'm super happy with my ride. Thankfully we kept going and rode the entire 115mi loop through wikiup back to the resort! I was the only YXZ with a bunch of rzrs, can-ams and other belt cars. My point is that belt cars are more capable all around, imo. You have to have more skill to drive a yxz obviously. The trade off is that every corner/turn/obstacle is FUN in a YXZ! I love down shifting into corners and dumping the clutch to spin tires, drifting, reving the engine, running through the gears, snapping the throttle. Being connected to the drive train is way way way way way way way more fun than riding a wave runner on wheels. That monotone droning sound that comes out of a rzr is annoying and boring to me however, they go more places with less effort. Safer in many ways...
If you get a YXZ maybe pick up a '19ss with proper gears. I have never driven one but they sound amazing even though I love my manual shift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 6 3 bought new wolverine xtr 2020 runs great just the leg room is tight is the yzx more comfortable for the tall man

1 - 20 of 28 Posts