Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 7 days in Dumont and beat everything I lined up against without a turbo and some with a turbo. For the first 5 days I tried to get people with XPT's to line up at comp hill but I got nothing but excuses. One guy even said...and I quote: "I don't need to race you, I've seen the videos" WTF????

I readily beat XP1000's and I'll post those videos. In one video I beat a brand new XP1 and Turbo Mav. My secret? Just like I said all along. N/A mods. DASA pipe.

There will be many excuses, accusations, or conspiracy theories but the videos will tell it all. What an absolutely stellar machine. I put several hundred miles on my yellow bird all the while my 300hp Wildcat sat parked for most the trip.

I am here to say that this machine is pure performance for a low entry price, comparatively speaking. Nothing at that price point can touch it.

PS: I take back what I said about stiff suspension needing a revalve. This thing broke in to near perfection at the 20 hour mark and I actually dialed in more compression by day two. It flies with very little consequence. Hopefully people who saw it this last week will chime in.

Videos up tomorrow

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh. And I do need to say that some dude in a red turbo 900 flat handed me my own ass. I dunno what he had in it but I had nothing for him. There was another turbo XP1 that caught me after a few laps on a makeshift track and when we stopped, he told me he wished he bought the Yamaha. His rig seemed faster than mine and I suspect I would lose in a straight line battle

·
Registered
633 Posts
I agree this car is amazing. I've alrdy built a custom header and exhaust with the help of burns stainless will post pics soon but this thing the more you drive it the more you fall in love.i used t9 get so bored the rzr that'd I'd always be stopping and making the rides long as hell this thing I can't stay out of it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
so dasa make a differance ?compared to stock.If so we're you gain anything
DASA pipes definitely make a difference in quads, can't see them not doing it for SXSs. My friend has one on his Wildcat, loves it. The only knock on DASA, they are very loud. But at the dunes, that doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
DASA pipes definitely make a difference in quads, can't see them not doing it for SXSs. My friend has one on his Wildcat, loves it. The only knock on DASA, they are very loud. But at the dunes, that doesn't really matter.
hate to do this to you Hollywood...YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great write up RPMaddict. My buddy was at Dumont watching you murder people and now he has his 2014 XP up for sale!! He said you were distroying people and he could not stop ranting at how quick your car was.
I'm super glad he liked it dDog! He will NOT be disappointed. There were a lot of guys out there putting around in the YXZ's; I suspect to break them in, so I think there may be some misconception out there. I drive mine like I'm running from a lynch mob at all times. Come to think of it, I think the Polaris people would have strung me up at North Pole...if they could catch me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you also have dasa controller?
yup. It was running a smidge lean so I bumped up the mid squirters a half notch. Not sure that improved performance as I found myself downshifting earlier but maybe I saved my motor. I don't know why you'd get the pipe and not spend $200 on the fuel controller to richen it up. I think they go hand-in-hand and should be sold that way.

I should add that DASA was extremely cool to work with. When I discovered my first choice was going to be unavailable for my trip, I called Kevin over at DASA and he scrambled to put a kit together and overnighted it to me just in time for me to head out for 10 days. We put the can on in camp in 12 minutes and surmised that it might take 20 if doing it by yourself. the fuel controller harness snaps into existing loom & injectors and was a little harder to access - but I have sasquatch hands and that might be the difference.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Could you easily notice the added hp when you added the exhaust and tuner?
I know they say its about a 12 to 15hp gain

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was hoping to see the yxz camped by me run up the hill but I think he spent more time doing donuts in camp than riding in the sand. Only saw one other but never was able to see any of them run the dunes. I was a little bummed. Glad to hear that its a runner

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could you easily notice the added hp when you added the exhaust and tuner?
I know they say its about a 12 to 15hp gain
I instantly knew it was a ton faster. Instantly. It went from fun to crazy fun. I seriously left the Z1 Wildcat at camp most of the trip. Probably important to clarify that this does not have a programmer. It has a fuel controller. With an appropriate tune, I cannot imagine how much more you could gain. I'm telling you, I think N/A mods will net you similar HP as base-line turbo numbers and may even add a little more practical power since you place it where you want with the gearing & clutching. Don't get me started on clutch failures either.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Maybe this will help you Arizona Rick. 1 person/1 YXZ with 15 hours. 1 person/1 XP Polaris 1000 with 15 hours.

Does that clear it up :)
So ... let me understand ... Your comparing a STOCK xp1k with a MODIFIED (exhaust and tuner) YXZ ....

And your celebrating because _____ ???

Oh the irony.

If it was a stock yxz vs modified xp1k you'd hear all the squealing and crying like a herd of pigs under gates.

Reactions: Yuba
1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.