Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
So i saw this posted elsewhere, anyone know anything about the trans input and output reduction gears they mention here?

Transmission gear ratios

1st- 2.059
2nd- 1.545
3rd- 1.192
4th- .962
5th- .806

Transmission output reduction.

Transmission input reduction

Axle ratio

·
Registered
13 Posts
Purchased my new Y and rode a 78 mile trail with 2 900 RZRs. After stopping several times on a steep incline, and trying to start up, I assure you I would never take the Y to Moab. We are installing a REKLUSE clutch and hope that helps. This unit is not our first rodeo, but I cannot believe that 1st gear is not a creeper, so you can get started anywhere. If I had a wish list, I would want a set of sun gears between the engine and trany, that would allow 2 speeds and give you 5 low speed options. As for now, I do not see this unit as hurting any of the other side by side companies sales! What am I missing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If someone will just make some new ring / pinion options that would be the easiest solution for altering the final gearing.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Purchased my new Y and rode a 78 mile trail with 2 900 RZRs. After stopping several times on a steep incline, and trying to start up, I assure you I would never take the Y to Moab. We are installing a REKLUSE clutch and hope that helps. This unit is not our first rodeo, but I cannot believe that 1st gear is not a creeper, so you can get started anywhere. If I had a wish list, I would want a set of sun gears between the engine and trany, that would allow 2 speeds and give you 5 low speed options. As for now, I do not see this unit as hurting any of the other side by side companies sales! What am I missing?
I spent two days in Moab week before last, had a blast with my YXZ. Went on several trails rated "Difficult" and did not stall even once. You just have to get more experience with this unit. I have since installed the Rekluse, it works as advertised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like the clutch might not be so durable either...

In my opinion, for this machine to have such a high first gear is a deal breaker.

I'll still test drive one, but they might have totally lost the Midwest and southtern market with thier tight woods and mud...

I mean I can't even see it holding up to the KOH style abuse on the desert on the rocks.

I can't possibly imagine what Yamaha was thinking when they didn't put a granny in it. Literally the majority of their potential market would be better off with one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yamaha purposely built this machine for dune/desert racing. My dealer was one of only 50 in the country that got to go to the release in California and that what he was told. Look at the video Yamaha put out and it's high speed desert racing. You don't see any slow mud or trail crawling with it. Yamaha wanted it this way

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I agree with you. I'm just saying they're making a mistake.

This one feature is all they would need to change to triple thier market.

Even just a granny first and then high speed gears in the rest of the machine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I wouldn't call it a mistake.

The YXZ would be quite handy in technical terrain with a ratio change and different suspension valving. A very easy factory fix.

If they wanted to do even better, include a cam profile for low and mid RPMs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wouldn't call it a mistake.

The YXZ would be quite handy in technical terrain with a ratio change and different suspension valving. A very easy factory fix.

If they wanted to do even better, include a cam profile for low and mid RPMs.
. . . .or .. .. . . . build a different machine for trail riding. Which is probably what they are going to do.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yamaha is doing what HD did for years. You would go in and buy a Sporters and be back six months later to buy bigger bike such as FatBoy or RoadKing. After Yamaha sells a ton of these YXZ, they introduce the model the majority wants and they get to sell another sxs to you. Pure Marketing

·
Registered
831 Posts
.or .. .. . . . build a different machine for trail riding. Which is probably what they are going to do.
I can't fathom the need to "build a different machine" when all Yamaha would be required to do to the YXZ to serve this large market niche is a minor transmission tweak and even more minor shock re-valve for rock compliance.

"A different machine" would cost more to develop.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I can't fathom the need to "build a different machine" when all Yamaha would be required to do to the YXZ to serve this large market niche is a minor transmission tweak and even more minor shock re-valve for rock compliance.

"A different machine" would cost more to develop.
Historically, in the the motorcycle world, Yamaha has the Motorcross YZ bike. For enduro and trail, they would revise the transmission ratio's along with some other mods and call it the WR. I hope Yamaha is listening (I do love my YXZ as-is however).

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've owned both. I went back to 2-strokes. ;)

Both Yammie and Kawi (KX 450 and KLX 450) did other minor motor mods to detune the fire-breathing MX bike to make them more controllable for enduro racing. All the stuff I mentioned before along with de-tuned head and a cam profile for more bottom.

I could get behind that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, what happens is all the good shit (parts) ends up on tha flagship, I doubt if a trail version really does come along its going to make the purists happy.

A lot of fun loving beer drinkers will embrace it but Polaris and Canam have that segment covered

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, what happens is all the good shit (parts) ends up on tha flagship, I doubt if a trail version really does come along its going to make the purists happy.

A lot of fun loving beer drinkers will embrace it but Polaris and Canam have that segment covered
Not for the riders that want to shift something!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not for the riders that want to shift something!!!
Yamaha I will bet is not going to give a bunch of mud and rock sloggers a clutch to keep burning up regardless of gear ratios, auto type shifting dominate that market across the board for a reason.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts