Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Sand Show Friday night. Stopped at a vendors booth to look at the YXZ he had built a roll cage for. I asked the owner of this shop if he had driven it yet, his response was, a little bit. I told him a lot of people want to see it run against the competition. He said he had already raced this one against a XP1000T, and won. I said, you did say a 1000Turbo right? He said yes, the XP definitely got the hole shot and was ahead, but by the time he got to third gear he had caught up, and by the time he got to fifth gear he had 5/6 car lengths on the XP. I know there is no video to prove it, so it can't be true,RIGHT, but he had no ties to Yamaha and had nothing to gain from this claim, so maybe this thing is faster than some choose to believe. We all should know soon!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe it, with a cvt you usually get to say 50-60mph pretty quick & then it gradually gains mph to top speed where the yxz will probably pull a constant speed through out to top speed. Leaving the cvt machines at top end.

·
Registered
762 Posts
THAT WOULD BE CRAZY. YAMAHA NEEDS TO MAKE A VlDEO LIKE CAN-AM DID. IF THAT IS TRUE.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is a hard pill for me to swallow with out being there and seeing it in person, but i do like to hear claims like this. It makes me thinking in the real world it might be faster then some of the dyno numbers made me believe it was.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I heard opposite from my dealer that was at the unveiling. Yamaha said the yxz will get off the line quicker than the turbo Rzr then the rzr will pull ahead and stay ahead bout a car lenght. Racing against a non turbo rzr yxz will outrun it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I believe it, with a cvt you usually get to say 50-60mph pretty quick & then it gradually gains mph to top speed where the yxz will probably pull a constant speed through out to top speed. Leaving the cvt machines at top end.
If I am not mistaken the YXZ wasn't a turbo rt? Was the YXZ stock excepted the cage? I would really be surprised a regular YXZ would beat a Polaris 1000 turbo. Just saying. But then again I never drove a YXZ yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Desertdog, I totally agree with you. I really believe by now that Can Am and Polaris both have a new YXZ in their camps and are doing there own testing. If they do not post a rebuttal release real quick, then Big Rig Jockey's post may hold a lot of truth to it. I'm going out on a limb here and say, if this 3 cylinder rig is beating the 2 big player's NA and Turbo's, I bet they both have a mid year model release with shifting gears. JMHO

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like Koolaid to me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's cool how this industry is changing though! Seems like the more we type, the more changes happen!

I'm gonna type this
" I want a 250hp manual shift on 30's with internal bypass 20" travel shocks."
I wonder if it will come true?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The YXZ is quick, but it is not going to be faster than either the turbo Maverick or turbo Polaris. They are all governed top speeds of 78-80mph and it is just a race to who gets to that speed first. Look at various videos of both Turbos they get to 70mph very quick.

You will not see anything from Polaris mid-year other than a 4 seat turbo XP, if not sooner. You guys forget not everybody wants to shift gears and in the sport segment that leaves you with either the XP, Maverick, or Wildcat.

I am sure both Can Am and Polaris are working on the next model, but I would not expect to see it for another year or two.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's cool how this industry is changing though! Seems like the more we type, the more changes happen!

I'm gonna type this
" I want a 250hp manual shift on 30's with internal bypass 20" travel shocks."
I wonder if it will come true?
Buy the new Yamaha and put on the Lone Star long travel kit (20" of travel) and then add a MPI turbo kit that gives you 250hp.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The reflash ECU that will be coming out has raised the rev limited to 11,500 rpms and raised the speed governor to 100 mph

·
Registered
126 Posts
The YXZ is quick, but it is not going to be faster than either the turbo Maverick or turbo Polaris. They are all governed top speeds of 78-80mph and it is just a race to who gets to that speed first. Look at various videos of both Turbos they get to 70mph very quick.

You will not see anything from Polaris mid-year other than a 4 seat turbo XP, if not sooner. You guys forget not everybody wants to shift gears and in the sport segment that leaves you with either the XP, Maverick, or Wildcat.

I am sure both Can Am and Polaris are working on the next model, but I would not expect to see it for another year or two.
I think a piped and programmed YXZ will be beating the turbos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If that video had gone much longer that POPO would have passed that Canned Ham it was gaining pretty quick
That's more camera angle than anything IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts