Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day yesterday -

My friend just got a 2016 Polaris XP1K and I have had the YXZ since October. It's been warm in MI so we decided to play hooky and hit the trails in MI. What a great day to compare these two machines! I was pumped. I got to pilot the XP1K for a couple of hours and roughly 60 miles.

First let me clarify what MI trail looks like. Fast, Sandy, Whoops, Wooded, Giant Berms and Swooping Corners, rolling hills, water and mud holes. For the YXZ on this trail it was 3 to 5th gear stuff, mostly 3 and 4th. Pretty fast, not TECHNICAL. There are technical hill climbs but it's mostly fast routes.

First off, both of these machines are insanely fun and at the top of their game. You can't really make a mistake buying the XP1K. It's a great overall do-it all machine. With low range and a good suspension package it's a versatile SXS. However some of us like different and that's where the YXZ shines. Both of these machines are very fast, handle great and my comparisons are splitting hairs. I don't think there are huge gaps when talking performance between these two.

Suspension and Handling is probably the biggest difference between these two (besides transmission preference). The XP1K wins the plush award, the Walker Evans shock package is very nice. We were using the entire suspension travel through the whoops and fast rolling hills. The YXZ was more firm and planted. It didn't take me long to get the feeling the XP1K did NOT handle as well as the YXZ. It felt out of control, the front end pushed instead of turning and you really had to work the steering to get this beast going straight after transitioning corners. The tail on the XP1K danced around alot. It also had much more body roll and sway vs. the YXZ. The YXZ was awesome in the corners! Pick a gear in the meat of the powerband, initiate a turn and it goes where you want it. Add a little throttle for a power slide and grab the next gear. It feels much more planted, firm, sporty, and sorted out. The XP1K just felt more mushy, vague, and "bull in a china shop" feel.

Ergonomics was another thing. The dead pedal in the XP1K was horrible and cramped. The cockpit area was more cramped and the seats were blah and loose. The YXZ fits my taller frame mush better and I like the lower buggy feel vs, the more upright truck feel of the XP1K.

Power - Power on these 1000's are fast (maybe not dune fast but trail fast). I swear to god, I could pull the XP1K ever so slightly. Neither machine had a clear speed advantage. The Prostar motor in the XP1K is a torquey powerhouse. Nail it and you have instant thrust and wheel spin. In fact most throttle applications in the sand was violent wheel spin. This contributes to the out of control feel to this SXS. The driver of the YXZ has much more control over the spread of power with gear selections. To keep pace with the XP1K you have to keep the RPM's spinning high in the YXZ and it's glorious! I love seeing that shift light flash and the scenery turns to a blur! I had a ton of fun working the gearbox and throttle. The XP1K is a very simple on or off the throttle to go fast.

Everything else has been discussed. The fit and finish of the Yamaha is superior. The center gauge on the XP1K is annoying and outdated.

Closing thoughts -
Both machines are fast and fun
You need to decide if you want to shift
The YXZ is the sportscar of the two with handling
Nobody broke down! :)

Video

·
Registered
681 Posts
Those look like perfect "east coast" YXZ trails. Or maybe just my kind of riding…how far from Columbus?! Ha, ha

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great review Rider414. That's exactly how I feel comparing both machines. The front sway bar addition and fox IBS shocks on the FOX edition and turbo really go along way to help the vague handling and keep it more planted. But I still feel the YXZ has a more confidence inspiring feel cornering. Once the YXZ Shocks break in they are fantastic.... And you'll stop peeing blood. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey Rider414, Im from ann arbor area, we usually go up to mio or cadillac area to ride dirt bikes, but im about to get a yxz and wanted to know where those wide sand trails are in youur post above?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts