Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the sled version of the Yamaha triple in my Redline Revolt. I walk all over Z1 RZR's. Now, to be fair the car weighs in at probably 950LBS with me in it, so it is light. What I notice about the difference between the Yamaha triple and the Z1 is that the Yamaha revs faster than the Z1, like a light switch and it also has a higher rev limit. The Z1's that I have run with are clutched around 8000 to 8200 rpm. My Yamaha is clutched to 9000. The guys I dune with are frustrated with getting their butts kicked by a NA 140 HP motor. I think the Yamaha triple has every bit as much potential as a Z1 to make power and from what I have seen has better characteristics as far as revving faster and making power at higher RPM's. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I do have two RZR's with Z1 turbo I am pretty sure you can pump the YXZ engine to 260 HP level I run. But where the Z1 will still shine is a closed loop system with knock sensor. That why I will really like for Yamaha to to sell this car with factory turbo option in the future. But somehow don't think they ever will, judging by the history of Yamaha engines in the sleds...IMO
But I can put up with the aftermarket turbo kit too on this beast...LOL
milos

·
Registered
633 Posts
Why not just put a engine management system on it and add a knock sensor. Once your up to the level where you need the knock sensor what's another 2gs on electronics.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why not just put a engine management system on it and add a knock sensor. Once your up to the level where you need the knock sensor what's another 2gs on electronics.
You absolutely right, but those system are not cheap and will run the turbo kit up in price lot, but it is standard with the Z1 engine.
But I really don't mind controller, run them before with turbo kit, just know the closed loop is easy way to run high HP and have some safety in it. IMO
Will be interesting to know what control the guys running crazy HP on Apex use ?
milos

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am very interested in seeing what the aftermarket can do with a turbo on the triple. Be it 215 with stock pistons or 300 with reduced compression and studs, I think this engine will be very unique in the type of output and - the oh so important engine note. But honestly, it will be darned hard to out do a Z1 with what it offers straight from the factory. Suzuki did something special with that power plant. Still, cant wait to see and I will not be butt hurt if it outpaces mine.

Loved the upped ante

1 - 9 of 9 Posts