Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon guys, my name is K.C. I'm the owner of BRG Moto sports here in Pacheco CA, I have a customer that has a 2016 YXZ side by side, Peter, that is my customer's name professes to be an extremely abusive individual when it comes to his side by side. As proof, he has blown up his turbocharged side-by-side no less than three times, when his side by side got into the shop and we did a forensic teardown on the motor, the biggest problem, we found was a lack of lubrication, at to the mix, a poor state of tune, then Pete wants more horsepower. He thinks the turbo setup was making around 150 to 175 horsepower. The lubrication failure, I'm going to suspect this is from too small of an oil reservoir. The poor state of tune was caused by, at the point that the car was put together nobody had cracked the ECU. Being that there was no power commander on the car, I have no idea what the other shop was using if anything for tuning. After looking at what we have to work on, and a professed abuser of equipment, the thought entered my mind there's no replacement for displacement, what if we put a Kawasaki ZX1400 motor in the frame. I was curious if anybody else had thought of this, and or have tried it, in what the results might have been. looking at the two motors I don't see it being a big deal to get the motor in the frame and upgrading to a stronger transfer case looks to be possible as well. Any comments are truly welcome.
thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
As a shop owner I would be thinking twice about doing work for someone who likes to blow up everything he gets. This is the type of customer I would not want at my shop. Peter sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
tried and proven turbo kits have been on the market for the yxz for years. the new weller kit is one of the most well thought out kits out and isnt an arm and a leg. i would seriously avoid a drivetrain swap as that will only lead to delayed riding and if his goal is 200rwhp or more then weller, packard, dlp and alba all have proven turbo systems that can take the abuse and can put down 200-600 hp at the wheel. also many tuning optoins available from a simple piggyback to full standalone ecu like aem or motec. personally thats the direction i would go way before a motor swap.

·
Super Moderator
2018 YXZ SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Heavyweight Flywheel, RR Intercom & Radio
309 Posts
@K.C. There are so many things that are throwing red flags that I don't know where to begin.

BLUF: If this his 3rd turbo to go high order, and this one was related to oil starvation, but there are plenty of others running turbo that aren't having this issue. Is it really the engine, or did the user not maintain the equipment? If its the user, it won't matter what you put in it. If its the engine, I would expect this would be a more common issue. Since the engine wasn't running power commander, and no discernable tune. That begs the question, was the engine running standard components or had it been upgraded with the heavier GYTR or 2019 con rods, etc? Had this engine been properly built and set up? What about the two that preceded this one?

Upgrade the transfer case. I'm assuming that you're planning on replacing the transmission with something beefier. If this is the case, then, you'll be looking at replacing the diff gears as well. This may well be a cascading issue with components as you keep beefing things up.

Where is the return on investment? Since this is a 1 off deal, trying to justify the cost of research, fabrication, and straight labor might be pretty difficult. How much of this cost are you planning to eat, vs pass along to the customer? And yes, I did check your web site to get a better idea if you might be doing it as a proof of concept, which is what I'm guessing your thinking. If that is the case, I think I'd pick a different customer to get better data on the other end. I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for this type of mod, but I'm guessing its probably not huge based on the success of the turbo and supercharged crowd. And the somewhat reasonable cost of the turbo kits.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, its not meant to be. I realize you've been running your own shop since 1988, something you couldn't have done if you weren't good at what you do.

Just my .02 worth

Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts